DVD capture

I had a read through the search, but nothing answers my question.

Basically I'm looking for a good quality capture card to make professional looking DVDs from a digital cable tv source via SCART. I've seen a few captures marred by pixelation in dark areas (I've heard about this in official releases also!)

So how can this be avoided and which cards should I look out for? I suppose I'm willing to pay no more than £200. I will most likely use Adobe premiere for editing.

Can someone recommend a good hardware/ software setup for a nice A1 quality rip?

cheers :)

I don´t know anything that captures directly from SCART you´ll have to use an adapter or change your source´s port.

If you have firewire then Dazzle´s Hollywood DV Bridge is a very good options otherwise stay away from any other product from Dazzle the pci cards from them have a good quality but is a very painful process to make them run well in a system.

If you don´t have firewire then anything from Pinnacle gives a good quality check for a product that fits your budget at pinnaclesys.com

For editing Premiere is a very good option or you could try Vegas wich personally is my favorite, since editing with .MPEG compressed files is not good to get a top quality video, capture in .avi with uncompressed format and after editing is done encode using Cinecaft Encoder, the bad thing is that you will need a very large HD to do things this way.

Here in the US some cable companies offer a DVR (digital video recorder), which is a Tivo box with a firewire port. You can use the fw port to import with Scenalyzer, Premier, Pinnacle Studio, Vegas Video, etc to AVI, and then on to DVD MPEG2s.

I still only use either a DV camera or an analog source (PAL or NTSC) to my old Dazzle DVC-II PCI card. Though it can be hard to setup, on my system it works fine and does realtime capture to MPEG2/DVD - on the fly. It also captures ok to SVCD (VCD is bad quality).

I have the GeForce FX5600 Ultra MyVIVO
that lets you capture to DVD PAL or NTSC
or uncompressed AVI
s-video or AV in/out
the quality is very good (well good enough for me)

@ipdave

I still keep an old DVCII pci card too but one thing that don´t like anymore is that it only lets you capture with it´s own app (moviestar).

Do you have any problems starting the capture? if not could you please tell me what psu are you using? There are a lot of users with this kind of problem, if you like to know more about it take a look at this place:

http://www.spawns.dk/svcd/main.htm

@eeyore

bode said he wanted to pay no more than £200 and your card sure is a great one but it would be far above from the budget.

weboneando said:
@ipdave

I still keep an old DVCII pci card too but one thing that don´t like anymore is that it only lets you capture with it´s own app (moviestar).

Do you have any problems starting the capture? if not could you please tell me what psu are you using? There are a lot of users with this kind of problem, if you like to know more about it take a look at this place:

http://www.spawns.dk/svcd/main.htm

@eeyore

bode said he wanted to pay no more than £200 and your card sure is a great one but it would be far above from the budget.
Spawn's site has other software to use besides the MovieStar - Bugsy, the Swiss Army Knife is one. Dazzle Capture is the other I have used. Both need MovieStar loaded for the drivers, but capture w/o the fluff.

My system uses an Enermax 431W PS and has these components:
1. Athlon 2200+
2. 1gb PC3200 RAM (2 512mb Kingston)
3. ATI 9500 Video 8x AGP with sep power connector
4. Pioneer 106
5. Yamaha F1
6. Dazzle DVC-II PCI
7. Abit AT7-MAX2 with Media XP header
8. PCI NIC
9. (3) 120mb Maxtor HD
10. (1) 80gb Maxtor HD
11. (1) 60gb Maxtor HD