dvd burner

mic1 said:
hi
which is the beter liteon burner
LiteOn LDW-811S
LiteOn LDW-851S
buying one next week
thanks
my one is the 8speed which is really good, i also have the sony dual dvd re-writer as well.

mic1 said:
hi
which is the beter liteon burner
LiteOn LDW-811S
LiteOn LDW-851S
buying one next week
thanks

I don´t own none of the models you posted and in their site the specs seems to be the same for both units, if you have the chance better go for the sohw-812s it burns in 8x in both + and -, this way you always gonna have the chance to buy any media you liked or have at hand.

dannieboiz

I just picked up a buslink external dvd burner and notice that it has the liteon 851s in it. I paid 120 shipped for it. Would I be better of buying the SOHW-812S and buy an enclosure?

I guess my question is, is it worth the hasle?

Liteon's 8x is 8x on +R, 4x on -R .... it depends if that bothers you - if you standardize on a supported 8x +R media (or one of the 4x writes at 8x ones), then the fact it's not an 8x8 drive (that seems to be one colloquialism for an 8x both media drive) is not really that significant.

The 851 is later than the 811, and has some minor changes - not sure if it's better though, or if there's any chance of an 8x8 firmware update as promised by some other makers with 8x4 drives.

dannieboiz said:
I just picked up a buslink external dvd burner and notice that it has the liteon 851s in it. I paid 120 shipped for it. Would I be better of buying the SOHW-812S and buy an enclosure?

I guess my question is, is it worth the hasle?
Like LTR12101B said, if you can obtain the proper media without problems then the only point of discussion would be compatibility, but I think that the compatibility thing in +R/RW media can be solved with DvdInfo.

I would buy an 8x8 drive because where I am it´s very hard to find +R/RW media, so it depends on what you can get.