Dual boot, format

I dual boot winme & winxp home. The winme is now corrupt. Winme is installed on c-partition, winxp is installed on d-partition of the same hdd. My question is now: Can I safely format the c-partition containing the winme and still be able to boot normal into winxp on the d-partition? I'm not using any special bootloaders.:confused:

Hi Kibaima,

No, if you format the C: partition, you will not be able to start XP Windows. XP is NT, and as NT it stores a file called NTdetect and other Boot files on the C: partition. If You formatthis files are gone and also your XP. You can correct this by reinstalling XP, but the same you can reinstall ME to correct the corrupted files (doesn't work always, so no garantee that it works. Altough in most cases it solves the problem). The only problem is that ME will then become your default first choice boot OS. To correct this you should then use the repair option of XP. An other option is to delete the Windows folder (ME) and the Program Files and reinstall ME and all the software. Also here you have the problem mentiionde above.

How you do it doesn't matter (excluding the format option), you will have to restore XP to have it as default OS.

You decide how you do it, and what is best for you.

Cheers,

El_Matador

PS: Kon ta, tur kos bon (hehehe) :D

Last edited:
Yep, speshalmente ku internet . Si bo mester algun yudansa mas, y si mi por yudabo post atrobe y mi lo hasi mi miho esfuerso pa yudabo.

Saludos,

RodatamLe

Format anyway?

What if I format the c-partition anyway, and then try to use the repair option to fix the boot files? Could this work? (Back to plain English before they throw us out of the forum):D :D :D
Would I still have to reinstall xp?:confused:

Yep, Because, As I said before you will delete a file called ntdetect.com. This file is used to detect NT, in this case XP. It happens with windows NT, 2k and XP. This file and other INI and SYS files are always installed on drive C:. If you format it, they are lost. Even so you ca reinstall XP on your old windows installation (same directory, and if I'm not mistaken it will only correct the problem. Atleast this was what happened to 2k. Hopefully it will keep all software working and the bootmenu will only consist of XP, or in other words no menu), by booting from CD or from the startup diskettes that you can get from Microsoft page.

If you want to see that this file is really on drive C:, then open Explorer (not internet), go to TOOLS->FOLDER OPTIONS->VIEW and deselect hide protected operating system files. If you go to the C: root you will see this file and other ones. Restore the check mark if you decide not formating partation C:.

As I said before, what way you decide to go you will have always to reinstall (restore) XP.

Cheers,

El_Matador

PS: I don't think the mod's mind that we speak another language :p

o.k.

Matador. thanx again. I'll back up some data I have, repartition this hdd, and reinstall winxp. This time on the c-drive. Yesterday I went to the ms website and updated my windows. Too bad. I'm on dial up and it hurts.:mad: You'll see me around. I can never stay away from this site for too long, so you'll catch me snooping around:D :D :D

p.s. Esaki ta prome biaha cu mi a topa cu Papiamento ariba internet.:D :D :D

You're Wellcome,

I'm also on a line and I know what you mean. They asked me 3800 Guilders :eek: :confused: for the instalation of a wireless conection, that is almost equivalent to ADSL, A joke I thought and not to mention the monthly payment of aroud 600 guilders.

Cheers,

El_Matador

PS: Aruba ku Antias ta chiquito, pero manera bo ta wak nos por topa otro riba internet. E chens ta chiquito, pero no imposibel :D

Repartitioning

Like I told you I repartitioned and installed again today. I decided to use pq magic 7 instead of backing up several gb of data and mp3's and using fdisk. It took so long that at a certain point I was asking myself if it wouldn't have been better if I fdisked. Anyway, pc is up and running again, and now only Winxp. The reason why I wanted a dual boot with Winme is that autocad 2000 won't install in xp. I don't know if the 2002 version is compatible with xp. I saw it for download, but haven't had a chance to download it yet. At work (refinery) I can download at 85, not bad at all because at home, if I'm lucky I reach 5.1-5.3 on dial-up. Takes forever:mad: Do you know if acad 2002 is xp compatible? Here we have dial-up and isdn, but it's too expensive still. At work they block lots of sites, but I can still get into this site, cdrsoft and various others, so I can probably afford to wait until cheaper solutions present themselves

p.s. Mi a mira bo postnan varios biaha den pasado, pero nunca mi por a pensa cu nos por ta "soulmates". Pc a cuminsa como hobby, pero cualkier dia e lo causa mi divorcio:D :D . You get addicted before you realize it's happening:cool: :)

??

On which island are you?. I thought probably from the largest one. How's the price of pc hardware over there? Here the selection is not very broad, so if you really want something good you have to order from abroad. Same goes for software, kind of forcing someone to download from the net:D
Like for instance for the dual booting that I tried earlier, I looked everywhere for the programs they mentioned here in the forum, just plain impossible to come by, so I had to resort to what ms is offering though its operating system. Not the very best according
to most postings here. In the future i'll try dual booting again, but I'll make sure to do my homework first and get the proper programs to assist me. Poko recommended some, and also a few others had valuable input. Lots of brainpower on this forum if you ask me.:) Hope I'll fare better then.

Here are rars of driv3imag and p@rtm@gic; you only need to boot from a floppy (9x or Me), then put in one of these on a floppy and run it. I use them on a bootable CD with Win98 boot menu and boot from CD so I don't have to swap diskettes. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Curiosity:

You are not speaking spanish here, not sure if portuguese, but it looks very like both... What is this language?

(I could not resist to ask...)

Saludos amigos!

Language

thorz

For your info.
This language is called Papiamento. It's only spoken on three small islands in the Caribbean, being Aruba, Curacao and Bonaire. El_Matador reconized the location in my profile and said hi. Kind of nice to meet people of your area especially when we're so small compared to the rest of the world.

The language varies only slightly between the different islands. Probably like U.S. english will vary from British english. And you're right, it sounds both like Spanish and Portuguese, mainly because the language had been exposed to influence of both languages in the past.

Salu2:D ;)