Does it have to be ac3?

DVDMan007

Hi,

everytime u convert avi to dvd using chikenmans tutorial....does the audio have to be ac3....the audio at the min is mp3...can i leave it or do i have to convert it?

cheers

You can't leave it as mp3, because it isn't part of DVD specs. Another option would be mp2, although as I understand it only having an mp2 stream doesn't conform with the specs either, shouldn't really be a problem I wouldn't think and you still have to convert anyway.

MP2 is ok for PAL (PAL dvd players are required to support MP2), but is not guaranteed to be supported by NTSC players. both NTSC and PAL players must support AC3 and PCM. MP3 is not supported by any means.

As AZImortal said but in practice there are MANY pal DVD Players that still have problems with MP2 audio. So for guarenteed hassle free playback, AC3 is the way to go. But if MP2 works for you, stay with it, just dont expect them to play if you lend them to your the family or friends.

I just updated my Audio to AC3 tutorial (last week), so check it out and try the freeware ffMPEG, its very simple to use & quite quick as well.