Does DVD2SVCD have probs with 80min CD's?

I have just converted a divx avi to SVCD using Chickenman's great tutorial.

Although I've managed this with no problems before, this time the resulting files are too big. The bitrate was set for 800, i.e. 80min CDR's but I ended up with 2 bin files that are ~815MB.
When I tried to burn them (CDRWIN), obviously, it crapped out.

I even reconverted using 790 but this gave me a 801MB file which also crapped out!

I guess I will have to go down to 780, but my question is, why? Why is this happenning? Has anyone else had similar probs with DVD2SVCD?

:confused:

in fact cdrwin is one of the programs which should know how to overburn discs automatically (do a google search using "cdrwin overburning" as keywords - you'll find out a lot)
the big problem might be your burner if it is an older model it might not support overburning at all, so you have to go down on 780 MB in DVD2SVCD.

VILLA21 said:
Noo!, In mode-2 u can burn an 800Mb CDR up to 840mb.
Just burn the image files with VCDeasy or Nero...

In CDRWIN, when burning from a cue file, there is no option to burn in mode 2.

My CDR's are 700MB, and the 800 refers to the setting in the bitrate tab of DVD2SVCD. 800 = 80min CD, not 800MB CD

Nero is crappy for SVCD's.
I don't have VCDeasy but I doubt that's gonna help here. Software can't extend the capacity of my CDR. :p

Last edited:
teutonu said:
in fact cdrwin is one of the programs which should know how to overburn discs automatically (do a google search using "cdrwin overburning" as keywords - you'll find out a lot)
the big problem might be your burner if it is an older model it might not support overburning at all, so you have to go down on 780 MB in DVD2SVCD.

Yeah my CDR is ancient and does not like to overburn. However seeing as I set DVD2SVCD to produce for 80min CD's, why is it porducing files that won't fit on a 80min CD without overburning?

you are wrong !!! 800 refer to 800MB in DVD2svcd, and this is because what villa21 already told you: burning in mode2.

He also gave you a solution, let cdrwin aside and burn with nero or vcdeasy. Should your burner support it, it will burn like a charm.

I already tried Nero - same prob

:(

I just checked and I was burning in mode 2 with CDRWIN.

Also I realise that you can fit a 800MB mpg onto a 80min CD, but I meant that the CD is rated as 700MB (for data).

Last edited:
Pls, read the following link and also do a search in this Forum:

h**p://www.ping.be/satcp/realsize01.htm

VCDEasy 1.1.2 works fine for me.

PS: For Nero, File-BurnImage and also in Preferences-expert-enable the overburn function.

If you actually read what I've posted...

VILLA if you read my post you would have realised that:

a) my burner won't overburn
b) I do realise that you can fit 800MB of video onto a 80min CDR

:rolleyes:

But most importantly, you've missed my point:

Why did DVD2SVCD produce files that wouldn't fit onto a 80min CDR?
Without overburning - unless I am mistaken in thinking that DVD2SVCD will work with non-overburning CD recorders.

Not sure why it is producing files that size. The normal size of the burnt bin is always 806mb for me which should fit without overburning.
Until someone gives u a solution, set your cd size to say 780 or something and your files should fit without a big loss in quality.

I only ever use 80min CDR;s for SVCD and would suggest every one to use them only also. Can you still buy 74min CDR's?

If you look at your cue/bin files with Explorere, they will show them as about 825,000 Kb (thats 806mb) They burn out absolutely perfectly WITHOUT overburning to a standard 80min CDR. If the CUE file is loaded into CDRWin ver 3.x, it will say, cannot fit to 74min CDR, continue anyway. Hit yes/ok and sit back while it burns. Load the same cue file into later versions of Nero (Burn Image) and it doesnt even say anything, it just burns. Exactly the same for VCDEasy. just load in cue file and hit burn.

Older versions of DVD2SVCD use to make cue/bin files just a few seconds over the 80min size and you had to overburn them (assumimng your burnaer can overburn) but I have done 30-40 DVD or AVI with DVD2SVCD ver 1.1.0 Build 1 and have never had 1 problem of bin or mpg file being oversized. If your files are a true 815meg then yes they are to big and will not fit so only option is to lower the disk size (as many above have suggested) to a size that produces a file just big enough to fit onto a CD. It may not be 780, may be 783. The bigger the better as a higher bit rate will be used, even if by a small amount.

The Chicken strikes again!
By jove I think you've got it :D
I am using an older build of DVD2SVCD, and I guess that this time things worked out that the file was a bit over the capacity of an 80min.
Well I'll upgrade my software and hopefully this won't happen again.
As it happens I set the disk size to 780 and that has produced a picture which is good enough for me (the 700 one I tried just didn't cut it).

Thanks again Chickendude!

:D:D:D