Do you really need ASPI in XP?

Hi all - my first post here!

Been a regular of the main site but first foray into the forums :)

Well my question is that if you're ripping DVD's (or anything else for that matter), say with SmartRipper, do you necessarily need an ASPI layer installed?

I have read that with XP, the need for ASPI was being removed as it is now integrated into the OS.

But I still read alot of post recommending installation of ASPI.

Why?

PS Great site and forums :D

this is 'cause in winXP they fudged up a lot of things (just like in all their previous OS systems lol). The aspi they have integrated with XP is more for the crapware they integrated with XP also (roxio crap).
Have a look at this forum under ASPI ( by doing a search *yes we have a search button), & you will see the pain it can be. For best results, I would recommend you use aspi layer 4.60 (sometimes you need to use Force Aspi *which converts any previous or later ones to 4.60). All these can be found here.
These are sometimes needed by some programs to function smoothly/properly. Although some of the newer ones don't need them anymore.

4.60 is an outdated version and shouldn't be used on winxp, 'cause it creates conflicts with scsi devices (or rather with the winxp drivers for the scsi devices, like controllers etc.). better use version 4.70 (not 4.71) from adaptec, that's optimised for winxp and works great with my scsi devices; 4.71 is buggy

php I'm sorry, but I really must disagree with you.
Even though 4.60 is outdated it has less conflicts than v4.70 which has been regarded as one of the worst versions EVER!
4.71 is better & people are having less trouble with it, but still 4.60 is ontop. Just cause something is not new, doesn't mean it isn't better than the newer versions.
You can see it in ZAP & Nero & Windows & so many other programs/softwares/OSes.

PS
hahaha, will never forget Roxio/Adaptec crappy burning software.

Right, thanks for the replies - although there seems to be a lack of concensus :D

The thing is that I regularly rip DVD's with no problems using SmartRipper without having added any ASPI layers.

So I guess I won't fix it till it breaks!

See you around :)

S

satans_priest

you have to use aspi e.g. for dvddecrypter - you can install v4.60 without any bug , BUT if you install the new 4.71 you will get lots of non-functional apps that use aspi :)