Do dvd-r's degrade?

Hi,

This is one for some of the expert in here....

I burned a movie on a bulkpaq dvd-r and the first time the movie played perfectly on my standalone dvd. The secontime there were noticeable delays as the film neared the end and eventually on the last chapter the movie was unwatchable. Is it possible for cheap dvd-r's to degrade? Has anyone else seen this problem with bulkpaq dvd-r's or just a one off?
Any help on this would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

I had the same problem with Bulkpaq DVD-R's also. But I find that if you allow your DVD Player (set top) to cool down, they normally play fine.

Bulkpaq are cheap and do work, but don't expect them to be the best. Also try to make sure you use the latest bulkpaq brand, they have a white ring in the center of the cd. Older ones do not have this, they just have the normal clear ring in the center of the disc.

Anyway, I just thought I'd let you know that you are not the only one who is having this problem with bulpaq dvd's.

Hope that has been of some help?

I also mostly use bulkpack brand, but for my self-authored home-video's i still use the a-brands like Verbatim

I think that even the bulk-brands will become better in time. You saw the same thing with cdrs a few years ago (and you still have some shitty-see-through-cdrs).
When i bought my first 1x-scsi the discs cost about 20 euro.. and i had a lot of coasters :( and they all are in the bin now.
So i think you should not buy the cheapest discs you can get, i found that That's Write has some good bulk discs for a good price, but everybody found their cheap brand which is working fine. Now we'll see how they will last.