Divx2DVd with subtitles

Hi

I have used Chickenmans Divx2DVD tute with on numerouse occasions with no problems, but, this is the 1st movie that i am going to convert with subtitles, i have got the movie which was in 2 parts which i have now joined as per the tute, i have also got the subpack with an IDX file and a sub file for each CD, so my question is; what do i do with the IDX and Sub File files, do i need to join these to make one file? if so how? and where do i put the IDX file and sub file when converting, i am guessing that these subfiles need to go in the same directory as the joined movie file.

Any help appreciated.

You need to install Vobsub and use its VOBsub Joiner to join the 2 together. You will need to know the length of AVI part 1 in Hr:min:sec:ms so that they join in sync. Then use Vobsub to convert the IDX to STR format. Set up DVD2SVCD as you wish, tick on Subtitles, then hit Go button. From next window select "Add external subtitle streams" and continue from there.

Quote "Then use Vobsub to convert the IDX to STR format". Where is it i'v installed VobSub but cant find the actual program "VobSub". I have
DirectVobSub Configure
SubMax
SubResync
VobSub Configure
VobSub Cutter
VobSub Dir (Directory)
and
VobSub Joiner
?

TIA
Phill

Perhaps he meant to srt format, which is a text sub format and would therefor require OCR, so say subrip.

VOBSub became VSRip around one year ago, however there doesn't seem to be a new util for joining. There is VSConv for VOBSub format-->dvdmaestro, scenarist and winsubmux formats.

Yep, sorry a typo, I ment SRT. Use SubResync, just load in the IDX and then hit Save As, selecting SRT format. It will go through and do an OCR of the data in the SUB file. This can take 5min or so.

Hi

Also attempting my first conversion by adding subtitles.

By adding external sub streams in DVD2SVCD, are the subs then permanent?

Alternatively, can the '.sub' be added in the authoring process using DVDMaestro? I say this cause I've already encoded my avi's.

Thanxxx
M

Successfully imported subs into Maestro by using VobSub to convert to '.son'.
But now I have the problem of them being out of sync, approx 2 seconds too early. How can this be rectified?

Thank you :)
M

Tried a prog called subadjust, but not really sure what options to use. The output file was only 1kb in size?

I can only say that when joining the two .idx\.sub files with VobSub, I'm making sure 'the beginning Of Input 2' is set to the length of the first avi. But, however, I don't know the exact milliseconds.

Not sure what to try next ????

M

If you used the SubResync program of VobSub set to convert to SON format, check the Reset Timing button to adjust its sync problems. I doubt you need to get to ms level to sync the subs. It may take a couple of goes to get it right, but shouldnt take to long.

Sorry for my late reply CM....busy mother with demanding children here :)

Anyways, did as you suggested but to no avail. I tried with another film and the same resulted when using VobSub to join, Resync and convert to .son (Maestro). I also made sure the correct frame rate was selected to match that of the avi's.
The film length is 2hrs 36mins, where as the subs have a length of 2hrs 48mins ??

Cheers

XXX
Emma

cg69

Hello everybody, I'm new here. I followed ChickenMan's tutorial to convert Divx into DVD, yet a got a problem.

It shows that "SpuMux failed for unknown reasons!"

I go to the SpuMux_log.txt and here it is:

"C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\DVDAuthor>"C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\DVDAuthor\spumux.exe" -m dvd -s 0 "C:\output DVD\Subs\en1-1.xml" 0<"C:\output DVD\MPlex_Muxed_File00.mpg" 1>"C:\output DVD\MPlex_Muxed_File00-subbed.mpg"
The system cannot find the file specified
."

Please help me. I'm really appreciate that.

Thank you in advance.

If there was a problem with the avi itself and was not converted properly, then the next operation, being spumux, would give you "The system cannot find the file specified." error that you got. Check your avi with DivFix and DivXRepair.

cg69

thank you for replying so soon, mr ChickenMan.

Hic ... at work now, cannt wait until home :) I'll try later and post the result.

cg69

To The-poacher: thank you for the hint. It's really helpful. Actually, I did the search around the forum and found out this topic is the suitest place for my problem :D

To ChikenMan: I checked the avi file with both DivFix and DivXRepair. None of them show me any error message. Then, I tried again with another avi file but still the same problem.

In SpuMux_log.txt file, I guess spumux.exe was trying to find "Mplex_Muxed_file00.mpg" but there was not this file. I looked in the folder where I placed all the output file, there is just "Pulldown_Encoded_Video_NTSC.mpv" file (for video I guess) and other "Encoded_audio_1.mpa", "Encoded_audio_1.mpa.wav" and "Extracted_audio_1.mpa" (for audio). Of course, there are many other file in the same folder but I dont know what it's for.

In "MPlex_log.txt" file, it shows:

INFO: [???] mplex version 2.0.0 (2.2.3 $Date: 2004/01/13 20:45:26 $)
INFO: [???] File C:\DVD_output\Pulldown_Encoded_Video_NTSC.mpv looks like an MPEG Video stream.
**ERROR: [???] File unrecogniseable!
**ERROR: [???] Unrecogniseable file(s)... exiting.

I checked the tutorial and carefully did step-by-step again, but I havent solved the problem yet. Please, I need help!

Thank you for reading. Nice weekend, everybody!
:)

Can you play the Pulldown_Encoded_Video_NTSC.mpv file, Win Media Player should play it (no audio of course). Is it complete and plays okay? Play the Encoded_audio_1.mpa audio file, again doe it play okay and is it the same length (hr min sec) as the *.mpv file ?

If all above is okay, just manually author these 2 files in TMPGenc DVD Author or DVDLab. The Tute explains how to use TMPGEnc DVD Author.

I really dont know why your getting the above error, there could be many reasons and not necesserily DVD2SVD or the AVI related. You are running NTFS formated HD under Win XP/2000 ?