Divx vcd burning question

fullboostorbust

My new home entertainment DVD player plays, DivX®, DVD, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW VCD1~3.0, SVCD, DVCD, HDCD, CD+G, CD-R/RW, JPEG (Kodak) MP3, XVID and MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, AVI files in ISO 9660 STD.

Is is possable to burn large (over 700mb) VCD's, DivX and or mpegs onto DVD-R and be able to watch them on my dvd player?

fullboostorbust said:
Is is possable to burn large (over 700mb) VCD's, DivX and or mpegs onto DVD-R and be able to watch them on my dvd player?
VCD belongs Mode2 CD standard, so 800 MB (already VCD/MPEG1 encoded) will fit on a normal 80min/700MB media;

about DivX and or mpegs: depends on your burners, media and players capability; try 90/800MB min CD-Rs, burn in Mode1 standard, don't forget to enable overburning to 90min in your burning aplication;

Greetings from
Duracell

fullboostorbust

Dura,

Thanks, i'll look into the 800mb cd-r's. I now am sure that VCD is mode2 CD standard only. How about filling a DVD-R with many Mpegs and Avi's, Will that fly on a dvd player that supports Mpeg and avi playback?

Regards, J

fullboostorbust said:
How about filling a DVD-R with many Mpegs and Avi's, Will that fly on a dvd player that supports Mpeg and avi playback?
a friend has a compatible player; he gets a menu looking like a Windows folder when inserting, then he uses the arrow buttons to select the one he want's to see;
but depends surely on your player; will say, try it; :)

It depends... a lot of players that "play anything" on CD - if they see a file type they know, they play it, are not as forgiving on DVD-R, and will only play a correctly authored DVD. I certainly remember seeing that lament several times, where a player will handle a CD of MP3s, but not a DVD of MP3s.

I have a DVD Player with similar/same specs as yours. I just burn a Data DVDR in ISO/UDF format with AVI (DIVX & Xvids), raw MPEG1 or MPEG2 files (not ones directly copied off a VCD or SVCD) and MP3's all on the one DVDR. They can even be in folders, well the MP3's normally are anyway. When insterted into the Player you get a DOS like menu, just use your arrows keys and then the Play button on your remote. When what ever you selected finishs playing , it automatically jumps to the next file and starts playing that. How did I live without my new player before ?

fullboostorbust

Chicken man,

Thanks, that really cleared things up yet again. I knew they would come up in ISO 9660 STD on CD-R but i wasnt sure about coming in ISO 9660 STD when using DVD-R. The dvd player i have is the DivX® Certified RJTECH RJ-1500DVX. Well its in the mail still so that would explaine why i have not tested this before asking. Sorry ;P
Thanks again everyone!

fullboostorbust

Hey Chicken,

Got my player. It works great with just about every format. One .avi i had a problem with, i would get perfect video play back but no audio. The same file on the same disk played back video and audio when in my PC. This ever happen with your player? if so, could it be fixed?

Always expect an odd avi to not play, I have found a few. They are from my old collection on CD's so one day when I have little to do (will be a while...:D) I'll fix them. If you have picture but no Audio then there is obviously an audio problem. Can you post the audio results from what GSPOT reports on the particular avi.

fullboostorbust

ChickenMan said:
Can you post the audio results from what GSPOT reports on the particular avi.

chicken, Not sure what this means. It plays perfectly on my PC. do you think converting it to mpeg would help? if so what freeware do you prefer for doing this?

Get hold of the program called GSPOT, run it and load in the AVI. It will tell you (and us if you post the details) what the audio component is. That way we all know what your taking about and how to fix your problem.

Converting to an MPEG will increase its size considerably, takes many hours to complete and will probably use all the DVDR on its own. Its easier to fix the AVI, just post the Gspot results.

fullboostorbust

O.k. once i get home (where the avi is) I'll load it up on this GSPOT app. The avi is fairly small around 150mb. Thanks, will post the results soon.