divx to dvd

I was wondering if you can put divx media onto a dvd without taking up the whole dvd.
I have tried to put a few divx movies onto a dvd but found that i cant maintain the avi file size. i have a 2 movies both around 700mb and i will get some more. I want to put these movies onto a dvd at the same size when i convert to mpeg, so i would like to have around 6 movies on one dvd, and i dont want to loose quality, is it possible to do this and if it is what software do i need.
Any advice will be appriciated Thanks :D.

k the easiest way to get those divx toi mpeg2 (dvd) is to use tmpgenc encoder start it load the dvd template select oursource adjust the final file size to yuor need and wait and wait some more cause tmpgenc aint in no hurry to encode u know what i mean :D ,another way is to use dvd2svcd but set the output to dvd format under the misc tab also use cce2.5 for the encdoign do a search for a demo youll find it ,you may want to take a look at the kvcd forum this alows maximum quality and compression to get more on a disc and is very compatible with players.they faver the use of tmpgenc but look for cce there is templates for that too.if your a bit of a noob check out chickman tuts in the forum probly be your best place to start enjoy stay and remeber just ask,someone will help! :)

Forget about keeping the same filesize, that is if you want half decent quality. For seriously low bitrates like that I would suggest CCE with probably a KVCD notch matrix or similar. I would also suggest that you don't use full DVD res.

thanks heaps for the replys, so to get this straight i cant keep the size of the divx when i convert to mpeg form without loosing most of the quality, ohhhhh, thats not fair :mad:

The length of the DivX in TIME, not kb, is what counts. If they are 90min long each (average length of a normal movie) then to get 6 of these (thats a total of 9hr !!!) on to one DVDR would be getting very close to being unwatchable. Putting 2 on a DVDR is about the limit I would go for (cause that is what I do :D) but I know of some people who put 3. Any more, forget it.

Just follow my DivX to DVDR Tute, but set the CD size in the Bitrate Tab to 1/2 a dvd (2220) and encode both avi's. Then you need to load these into a program to Author them (Maestro, DVDLab, TMPGEnc DVD Author, etc) and make a simple menu. Compile and burn.

thanks mr chicken, the reason i wanted to put 6 movies onto one disk is because i put 3 vcd movies onto one dvd, which is 6 cds, but i understand the time thing.
I use Gear Pro 6.03 to burn the dvds because it seems to always make them properly unlike nero. when i make a new "iso dvd movie" down the bottom it said 509 minutes do have any idea why it said that and how do i utilise that time. Or is it again the comprimise of quality that will achieve this time.

viper12 said:
thanks mr chicken, the reason i wanted to put 6 movies onto one disk is because i put 3 vcd movies onto one dvd, which is 6 cds, but i understand the time thing.
Then best solution is to encode the AVI's to VCD and then author onto a DVDR. If that qualkty is acceptable to you then go for it.

As for Gear Pro, sorry I have never used the program in the last few years.

runnerxx

viper12 said:
I was wondering if you can put divx media onto a dvd without taking up the whole dvd.

I don't think it is possible for 6 movies, because divx has better compression/quality. I use the latest version mainconcept mpg codec, which renders very acceptable quality mpg1- 352x288 or 352x240 (mpeg audio 48) and change the stream (demuxed or muxed) to mpg-2 through tmpg or womble, which only takes a minute. After that I run the movies through my moviemaker sofware that allows custom settings. Only 6 shortl movies like walt disney will fit on one dvd, therefore I would go for 4, sometimes 5 movies, the quality will be surprising (mainconcept mpg codec!), especially when the bitrate is increased. Try to compress the audio as much as possible, but I would not go under a bitrate of 1150.

Ill give it a go

Thanks for the new info runnerxx, i have been trying to convert acceptable mpeg files from divx for a while, and i have had the most success through tmpg however the picture still comes out gerky and not real good, and it takes time and time and more time. so ill try mainconcept.

well i tried mainconcept "main actor 5.1" no im not sure if this is the right program :( but anyway if not could you tell me otherwise. when i tried to import the *.avi file it only reconised it as audio, maybe i have to get a plug in or something, anyway looking forward to your reply.

runnerxx

viper12 said:
well i tried mainconcept "main actor 5.1" no im not sure if this is the right program :( but anyway if not could you tell me otherwise. when i tried to import the *.avi file it only reconised it as audio, maybe i have to get a plug in or something, anyway looking forward to your reply.
It is mainconcept mpg-encoder 1.4 (1.3 is available if you look for it on (it starts with Kaz... make sure you uninstall this interesting medium afterwards - lol). Mainconcept encoder is now also used by premiere 7.0, the new one, which i also have. It renders stable pictures, and bright too. I agree, TMPG may be good, but only if you put in the right settings and have a lot of patience, and the thools suck, e.g. merging files. Until now mainconcept 1.4 recognized the avi files without problems, but I always let virtual dub check them first.