DivX / TMPGEnc Transcoding

I am trying to do some transcoding from DivX (or XVid in some cases) to MP2 (for subsequent burn to a DVD). I have read the tutorials and used many methods. Most of the DivX files have AC3 soundtracks. Many times if I rip the sound and use either Headache or BeSweet, I find that there are errors in the stream that either a) prevent them from converting, or b) cause sliding delays in the sound/video sync.

When I use Canopus to transcode (frequently doesn't work with DivX, but when it does it works well), it gives me two elementary streams that both work.

But when I use TMPGEnc, the audio file is always the right size, but contains no audio. I have used GSpot to be sure I have the codecs and it say yes.

Any ideas???

TMPGEnc can't handle AC3 as it has no downmix engine, also I don't think there is any ACM AC3 decoder for it to use.

You could try using AC3fix on the stream or converting via graphedit as I assume it plays ok. You could also try using AC3Source and frameserving the whole thing to TMPGEnc with AVISynth.

I've never used AVISynth. I know what a frameserver is because I've used VirtualDub that way before. But, after reading a guide on AVISynth, I have more questions than answers. And the guide doesn't make use of AC3Source.

How would I write a script for AVISynth to make use of AC3Source?

Also, what is the bug that apparently exists between AVISynth and TMPGEnc? Does it affect me in this scenario?

Thanks again!

ac3source is a 3rd party plugin for frameserving ac3 with avisynth. Not sure whether it would handle the ac3 any better than BeSweet, etc. although it is worth a try.

Did you try ac3fix?

Simplest is to extract the AC3 audio out as a WAV using Nandub (Audio set to Full Processing Mode) and use that as the audio source in TMPGenc. Have a read of the DivX to VCD Tutorial, all explained in there how to do it.

You can also extract out the AC3 track as an AC3 audio file with VirtualDUB ( Audio set to Direct Stream Copy) and convert to WAV or MP2 with BeSweet GUI.

I did try using AC3Fix. It fixed the stream by removing the bad spots, but the resultant file was too short and so as the movie plays, the audio gets progressively unsynced from the video (too fast).

Same was true of using VirtualDub and BeSweet.

I haven't tried NanDub yet, so I'll give it a rip.

Thanks to all!

If it is 5.1AC3 then Nandub is not going to be able to save it out using full processing.

If the file plays fine then I would just convert it using graphedit because at least you know it will work.

I have never used Graphedit. I found a couple of guides that walk you through how to convert from MP2, but none of them mention how to do things if you start with DivX. Does anyone know of a guide that would show how to convert DivX AC3 to WAV using Graphedit?

Doubt there is a guide for AC3 from an AVI, there may be some old guides for regular AC3-->wav using graphedit but basically just render the file, delete all the video filters, remove the sound renderer, add wav dest and file writer, make sure that the AC3 decoder is set to 2 speaker/stereo/surround or whatever then press play.