Divx player

wolfie33

Hi all
tommorow i'm considering buying a phillips divx-dvd player
The only doubt in my mind is in relation to what it will play! i dont know much about div-x so my questions are these.

1) will a divx player play multiple avi files(eg 4 clips to 1 dvd).
2) is div-x just an avi file or is it encoded differently?
3) if divx is different- is the process of converting avi to div-x aslong as the divx to mpeg conversions.

Thanks top buddies
===============

wolfie33 said:
Hi all
tommorow i'm considering buying a phillips divx-dvd player
The only doubt in my mind is in relation to what it will play! i dont know much about div-x so my questions are these.

1) will a divx player play multiple avi files(eg 4 clips to 1 dvd).
2) is div-x just an avi file or is it encoded differently?
3) if divx is different- is the process of converting avi to div-x aslong as the divx to mpeg conversions.

Thanks top buddies
===============
I don't know the answer to all your questions, but to the first one the answer is "yes". I bought a Kiss player a few months ago and it plays multiple video files just fine.
Be warned though, these players are supposed to support many formats, but there is a limit to what they can do. It depends on how the files where encoded. For example, Kiss players seem to have some problems with certain xvid encoded files (hopefully that will be fixed in one of the next firmware updates).

Here you can find lots of information about dvd-divx players:
http://www.mpeg-playcenter.com/modules.php?name=link2us

Kiss players use Sigma (lets steal the XviD source code) Designs chipsets.
Phillips use ESS and MediaTek chipsets.
The ESS ones support DivX in avi and mp4 containers. DivX is just a video codec, avi and mp4 are containers they can contain video, audio, subtitles, etc. mp4 can also contain menu's, etc. however current mp4 support in ESS based players is fairly limited.

DivX can also be stored in other containers or by itself as a raw m4v/divx stream. Don't expect any of that to work though. Also with the ESS based players don't expect encodes using qpel or GMC to work.

Who cares what chipset a player uses?

I would hope anyone buying a player as what particular chipset it uses basically dictates what features it supports.

Or you mean who cares that Sigma Designs tried to steal the XviD source code? Well I guess I do.