DirectX questions

Ok, I recently installed Wet The Sexy Empire.. I know, old game, but someone recently released it again and I was curious.. anyhow, when I went to install it, it told me I need dx3.0..

Since I run XP, we all know 8.1 is used.. I was unable to do anything and it popped up with the dxdiag and told me to press reinstall 'shyeah right'...

I did happen to notice though, that most were 'certified' and one wasn't even installed and it was an important one like DirectDraw or something.. not sure, as I'm at work.. I'll find out when I get home though..

I'm just basically curious if older games or even newer ones that use older versions of directx and FORCE you to install them can actually corrupt your newer version of DX? Is that possible?

My games seem to still work.. I only play THPS3 and GTA3 right now, but they're both working.. Oh well.. I'm so bored right now.. lol!

Last thing: Since everyone keeps saying Microsoft has posted a newer version of 8.1 on their site, is there any way to install that in XP or does XP have the 'latest' version?

Get DX8.1b here
hxxp://download.microsoft.com/download/directx/update/8.1b/nt5/en-us/dx81nteng.exe

**How to install Direct X8.1b on Windows XP**

Load up the command prompt and go to the directory where you have downloaded the NT version of Direct X8.1b. When in that directory, type this command - dx81nteng.exe/c - in which will bring up where do you want to extract the files to. So make a folder put them in there. Then look for all the inf files, right click then install. This will by-pass the normal automatic install program, and setup Direct X on your computer.

As far as I know if you install an older version of DirectX, the newer one (already installed on your PC) will not be damaged.

Don't worry,

format start kleen!

Dark$ide - wat's with da eerie grafix man... that's way too hev-V

Last edited:
Thanx for the suggestions.. I tried it.. now I get 'several files are older and could cause problems' or something like that in dxdiag.. I'll try it out though and see how it is

Update:

I went and played Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, which was MUCH faster than before (I only have a 700) and when I checked the diag again to compare with my roommate (who didn't install it and also running XP), it said no problems found and they looked practically identical, except for version #'s..

His: DirectX 8.1 (4.08.01.0810)

Mine (after that tweak): DirectX 8.1 (4.08.01.0901)

So I guess it definitely does something for anyone interested in trying.. :)