degaussing monitor

are you techincally minded or not !?

do you have a digital CRT monitor !?

if you have a digital CRT monitor then it should be pretty straight forward there will be a setting in your on screen settings menus for your monitor settings (where you adjust the dimensions of the screen) look for this DEGAUSS option then hit the set button and this should trigger the self degaussing of the monitor the screen will wobble or vibrate and settle down this is the monitor using its inbuilt charge to clear the screen of any pinking/discoloration of the screen image mesh :)

if your monitor is not digital then its not a simple task :(

you need a special tool usually carried by tv engineers or computer network engineers called a DEGAUSSING COIL which is basically an electro magnetic coil in a tube ..... if you do not have any real tech knowledge here then you MAY just cause MORE hassle than its worth ...... you could take your monitor to a TV repair store and they may do it for you cheaply :) i would recommend this against borrowing the equipment and doing it yourself as magnets used near a screen (tv/monitor) could make the problem 100 times worse :(

The internal degauss circuit is normally triggered either:
1. On command, by a button under the control flap, or via the control menu
2. Automatic, at power on (most televisions, and I thought older monitors).

The usual system has a thermistor to control the power, and needs 5 minutes rest to to reset to full power.

Depending on the severity, the discolouration may need 2-3 hits with the internal degauss (REST IT!) to clear. If it doesn't clear in 3 goes, it's probably beyond the capability of the internal.

If the magnet exposure was above a certain level, PERMANENT distortion of the shadow mask may have occurred - and that is why external degauss is a job for an expert, as the same kind of damage can be caused.

it is a digital monitor with a sony tube
i have a degaussing wand, thats what i want to know should it be done with monitor turned off or on , is there a special way to do it?
the internal degaus does squat and the colours are all wrong ie blue screen has green patches and red patches,if you move a magnet near the monitor you can remove some of the colour back to normal but not all of it

James, it sounds like your monitor is whacked. If you purchased it within it's warranty period, maybe now would be the time to get it RMAed and replaced.

I had a samsung with similar problems. Past the RMA date, it was nothing but a pain.

I have an old degausing coil I stripped out of a dead TV set. I use it when the automatic degausing circuit doesn't cut it. These coils aren't meant to be on long so be careful (and quick).

1) Place the coil up to the screen.
2) Turn the coil on (this will produce some strange colors) and move it around the screen in a circular pattern.
3) With each full circle move the coil away from the screen slightly (1-2" or so) and keep moving it in a circle
4) When the coil is far enough away the strange colors the coil produced will dissapear.
5) Repeat as needed (careful on how hot the coil gets).

One step through should only take 5 - 10 seconds. It would be a good idea to keep anything magnetically sensitive (old floppies, credit cards...) away. I have never personally had a problem doing this, but it is possible to magnetize items (your current problem) with a coil as well as demagnetize them so make sure you can afford a mistake.

Do you know how the screen got this way? I have seen kids put magnets up to them to see the colors and distortion (cute little snot balls aint they).

I have also heard that if a tube is in the same location for a while (months if not years) it picks up magnetization from the earths magnetic field. Then when you move it the fields don't line up so you have a problem. Never had this experience myself.