Defrag!

Here's a tip.

I've has some bad shutdowns caused by storms in the summer,and the girls,and their hairdryers,etc. :D I check the hard drives after these occurances.Although the PC's seem to work fine,it makes a mess of the drives.So be sure to defrag after a bad shutdown.Also, check once a month to see if they need defragging.

And defrag in safe mode,if you use the windows standard utility...it will speed things up,as there will be hardly any resets,caused by loaded task manager programs....

Additional here to roadys advice about using the standard windows defrag that the windows ME defrag.exe can be used on a win 98/98se system and it defrags faster than the standard one with 98 /98se :) you can copy it over from your win me install disk/installed version of WIN ME to a floppy and use it on any WIN 98/98se system :)

Also if you burn a load of cds regular from image files , its a good idea to defrag the drive you image to every couple of weeks or so as this keeps the drive in shape and lessens the errors that can occur :)

if you do not know how to use safe mode then you can use a freeware tool to end all processes/tasks called END IT ALL get it here

it will close down any tasks you select that are running or you can choose to protect tasks if needed :)

Of all the things to do on yer PC regular Defragging is numero uno.
I defrag at any opportunity I have if the PC is idle sometimes 2 or 3 times a week!!!

2-3 times a WEEK defrag?
Unless you are adding and removing things every day, that would be excessive - mind you, if you use the SAME defragmenter every time, the SAME options, and it (or you) don't demand absolute perfection in placement, then a "steady state" can be reached, where very little is actually moved.

It can also help to reduce fragmentation if you keep (as much as possible) temporary stuff on another drive or partition, and fixed size or lower limit the swapfile.

towerblocks

i also advise not to use the defrag program thats with your windows as its just plain crap i use voptxp in safe mode excellent defrager

Isn't Perfectdisk a great defrag program?
I use it frequently.

I've heard it's one of the better ones outhere.

regards,

I been tryin out VoptXP as well & well, all hail the new speed disk, man this thing flies through it & its got other tuneup functions, best & fastest i've seen yet :)

BaNzI :D

banzibaby said:
I been tryin out VoptXP as well & well, all hail the new speed disk, man this thing flies through it & its got other tuneup functions, best & fastest i've seen yet :)

BaNzI-bud. leave VoptXP alone and use a real defrag (O & O, Diskeeper or Perfect Disk)! :D

Cheers jasmin :)

I did notice that even after using the MFT tuneup option & the pagefile one that it didnt seem to be doin much, all those reboots & everything was still in the same place, checked out the link U posted & now have O&O, will be trialing it today :D:D:D

Cheers guys mines running in tip top shape...

But still im confused though which Defrag utill shall i use and which is the BEST