Cutting mpeg movie to fit on CD

I recently aquired a special copy of Lord of the Rings in mpeg format (ripped from a cinema's screening copy). The file was 4 x 800mb. I converted to 1 x 3.2gb using TMPGEnc, and now want to cut it to 5 x 700mb (approx), But TMPge will not view file. To watch movie you must use WinDVD etc. (not WMP).

Is there any other progs. out there to do this?? :confused:
Do I need an add in for TMPGEnc?? :confused:

TMPGenc can cut, go in File->MpegTools->Merge&Cut then Add a file and use Edit to do what you need ;)

Thanks, but have tried this allready, that is were I merge the 4 mpeg file. When you try to edit I get a message that -directshow cannot view file- I guess it is something to do with the mpeg encoding.

VirtualDUB only allows saving to AVI, not MPEGs.

I think the problem is its over the 2 gig limit for DirectShow to handle.

Try this in TMPGEnc.

In Cut and merge, load in MPEG1 edit and mark out from 0 to 73min. Save as File1. Do not delete MPEG1, now add MPEG2. Edit MPEg1 and mark out from 73 min to 80min (end) Edit MPEG2 and mark out from 0 to 64min (thats 73-(80-73)). Save out File 2 (made up of last 7min of MPEG1 and firat 64min MEG2). Delete MPEG1 and add MPEG3. Edit ........

Continue until you have the 5 CD's made from the 4.

Hope thats not to confusing. I do it that way all the time, never join then all to one file and then try and cut, thats doing the job twice.

Just a thought, your not trying to cut the files down in size to fit to an 80min CDR are you? The files you have at 800meg WILL fit onto an 80 min CDR when you burn them as a SVCD with NERO (which is what the 4x LOTR files you have are).

Just burn then to an 80min CDR using Nero and select SVCD option.

:D Thanks fellow victorian, will give a go tonight. The files are 800meg each, will try to burn with nero as you said. Will let you know how it went on Monday.

Also, helpfull to know about 2gig size limit in TMPGEnc. :eek:

And to you chicken man -> go the pies'

:D Worked a treat. Burnt to disk using SVCD function in NERO. Quite misleading the file sizes 800meg+ fit onto a 700meg disk.

I also tried again to edit & cut one 800meg file in TMPGenc but it refuses to open Directshow, possibly to do with encoding program used when it was encoded.

Thanx ChickenMan

Very Happy Camper...:D

Good to hear all went well.

The size can be confusing. CD's are quoted in size capacity if saved as Mode 1 (this is most Data CD's, Games, etc.) But VCD's, SVCD's & Audio are writen as Mode 2 which has a lot less error correction data included. So the extra space created from less error correction data is used to save more raw data. The end result is you can get more on a VCD or SVCD disk compared to a normal games cd.