Copy video in Windows Media Player?

videobuff

Does anyone here know if its possible to copy video that is being played on my computer through Windows Media Player.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

you should say us:
what's the source (file on your HDD or internet stream),
what's the used video codec,
and what file extension has it;

Greetings from
Duracell

If 'Save as ...' isn't available from the File menu, I usually use the Opera browser to download media files as it allows you to specify other actions than just play the file.

To configure Opera for this: Click on File, select Preferences... , on the preferences menu select File types. One by one, select every mime type in the list that's a video or audio type (including those listed as applications -this applies especially to Real media files) and hit the Edit... button.
On the edit dialog box, under Action, select the Show download dialog radio button, then hit the OK button.
After doing this for every media type that you want to downoad, don't forget to hit the Apply button and then the OK button to close the Preferences menu, or you'll have to start all over again.

The first file you download for streaming media will usually contain the real address for the media files - you can open these with notepad and copy and paste the address to the Opera url bar. For these file types you can configure Opera to Open with Opera instead of Show download dialog and then just copy and paste from the browser window to the url bar. The file types for Real media video are *.rmm and *.ram and there are also others that I don't know off hand, for Windows media usually *.asf and *.asx.

If the browser window begins to fill up with ASCII text instead of showing the download dialog -let it.
When it"s finished, click on File and select Save as..., Opera will save it with the proper extension.

I use Opera 5 without any plug-ins or java but I'm sure 7 can be used the same way.
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=opera

If Opera doesn,t work for certain files you can try searching for ' Streambox VCR ' or ' ASFRecorder ' .

videobuff

Duracell said:
you should say us:
what's the source (file on your HDD or internet stream),
what's the used video codec,
and what file extension has it;

Greetings from
Duracell
Thanks Duracell for your interest.

The source is a video stream over the internet. How do I find the video codec and the file extension?

What I was considering doing is using a Radeon AIW card, use the S-VHS video out and copy the video stream to my SVHS player. Will that work?

It would be nice to also be able to burn the video stream with my cdrw, if possible, but not necessary.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

videobuff

Thanks for your lengthy reply, cobo.

Maybe my response to Duracell will add light to my situation. I use Windows Media Player as it allows me to watch the media stream at 300 kps (RealPlayer doesn't allow this).

When I click on copy on the Windows Media Player menu, nothing happens.

What do you think of using a video card like Radeon AIW to send the video out to my SVHS player and copy it that way? Okay, thanks again.

videobuff said:
How do I find the video codec and the file extension?
Media Player > File > Properties

What I was considering doing is using a Radeon AIW card, use the S-VHS video out and copy the video stream to my SVHS player. Will that work?
this will work, but you record your whole desktop to SVHS and not only the Media Player window; a 300 kb/s streem is not enough to run Media Player in full screen mode (and record full screen mode to SVHS);

you should think about cobo's hint and try Streambox VCR or ASFRecorder
i hope both apps aren't against the rules;

I fancied using a streamed clip from the Internet, in a University project a while back, and had the same problem.

I resolved it by making the site with the clip, available 'Offline'.
I then disconected my Network connection, and tried to play the file.
It didn't work for the first couple of times, but once I sorted out how to make it include the video file, it worked fine.

I searched for where I had stored the site, and took the video clip out.
I did this about three times, with different clips, around that time, without a problem.

I don't know if this solution will suit what you wish to do M8, hopefully, it will.

Procode ..

videobuff

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I usually have a difficult time getting new software downloads to work, but I'll give it a try. Thanks again.