Converting TV Episodes to DVD

Hi :)

I'm new to the subject and would very much appreciate some help with anyone
familiar with this task and what recommended software to use for recording TV programmes.
I'd also like to convert my old VHS tapes to DVD.

As for encoding, I'm fairly familiar with DVD2SVCD, but I mainly use this for movies.

Thanxxx
M

TV eps to DVD, old VHS tapes to DVD, how about we stick to 1 at a time :)

As for TV eps to DVD, I tend to encode 4 x 44min TV eps onto one dvd (or 6-8 20min eps). Basically I never exceed 3hr of movie and its generally more than 2hr. Any more than 3hrs the quality drops off fast. Okay lets assume your putting 4 x 44min eps per dvd.

I assume you have each ep in AVI format that palys fine in WMP. You encode each separately to its own folder. In DVD2SVCD (D2S),

1. We set to No Images in the DVD Image tab.
2. We set audio bitrate to 192 and using AC3enc4.bat instead of BeSweet. If the avi contains ac3 then tick on Do Not Convert audio.
3. In the Bitrate tab, we set the CD size to be 1/4 of a full dvd (or 1/8 depending on how many eps per dvd). So CD size is set to 1120 for 4 eps/dvd
4. Encode as per the rest of my AVI to DVD Tutorial.
5. Fire up TMPGenc DVD Author (TDA), and select Create New Project.
6. Click Add New file and load in the Pulldown_Encoded_Video_NTSC.mpv or Encoded_Video_CCE_PAL.mpv file you encoded to first folder with D2S. Load in the Encoded_audio_1.mp2 (which is actually an AC3 audio file). If yoiu want Chapter points, click the Chapter cut edit tab, click Add and set to, say, automatically insert chapters every 5 min. Then okay/okay
7. Now click on Add New Track and repeat step 6. Repeat until all 4 eps are loaded in. You will see the bar at the bottom indicating that the final size should be just under the 4.7gb line, if its not then your done something wrong. Mine typically come to 4.30gb.
8. Click on Creat Menu Tab, and select the type of menu template. They have a few that are okay. Dont ask me how to make your own ! Set up the menu with Episode names, etc to what ever you want. Make sure Firstplay Action is set to Display Main Menu.
9. Click Output tab, tick Create DVD folder option and browes to a suiatble folder. Click Begin Output bar.
10. When all done don't exit TDA, but first test play the new created dvd, if all is well, all in sync, chapters work, spelling is correct :), then exit TDA.
11. Done.

Hope that helps.

That's a big help CM, my own little tutorial :)
It would be a bonus if you could batch convert, say 6 episodes in one go...it's that convenience thing again, you know what I'm like.

As for recording TV programmes, I plan to set up my new XCube for watching and recording TV. So when it comes to encoding those AVI's as above, I really need to be recording in AVI format. The same goes for converting\capturing VHS. What software is recommended and would that be dependable on my TV card? I'm thinking of upgrading to a digital card, possibly an Hauppauge.

Thanxxx all for your time and help.

Emma
XXX

I used Ulead Video Studio to do my capturing when I had my analogue cap card, capturing ONLY with it in AVI format, at 720x576, 25.00 fps and using Huffyuv codec. Audio to Stereo WAV 48khz. Got some fantastic results. It was the only program I found that would not give me dropped frames recording a 2hr VHS tape.

As Bionic said, you sure can batch encode using D2S. The most I have done is 28 avi's in one batch (I went away for the weekend) and all completed perfectly :)

Thanx guys for the info, I see 'Iuvcr' can record to avi format, so worth looking into.

As for batch encoding, I tried it last night and it worked a treat! There's just no end to CM's talent!

Thanx guys

MXXX