computer tech help

physically !? you mean de-solder them off and re solder new ones on !?

are you technically minded and have steady hands and fingers ?!

if you are confident with a soldering iron and a steady hand then maby this will be possible ?!

are they broken !?

do you have USB ?! you can have a USB mouse and a USB keyboard if you have faulty serial type mouse /keyboard ports :)

Viper's right: if you have USB ports (and Win98-2nd or later) you can replace faulty ports with USB devices.

If your mouse and keyboard ports are simply 'old' and require ATX devices (with the big plugs) you can easily buy adapter plugs for PS2 devices.

Yup, you can use a USB mouse in the USB port -- OR you can get a USB adapter and connect it to your PS2 mouse: Voila, you're using the PS2 mouse through the USB port.

However, you may find that the quality of a new USB mouse may be much better than that of an old PS2 mouse (with a new adapter). How much do you like your old mouse?

a word of advice i would go with the NEW MOUSE with USB already... as prices for PS/2 to USB adaptors vary so much in price that they sometimes exceed the price of a complete band new mouse :)

I agree again with Viper, but you should ask yourself how attached you ar to your PS2 mouse. I've got an old MS Intellimouse Explorer PS2 with rubber grips that's so good, I'll keep it for always (though I'm principally using a Logitech MX500 - USB optical).

Presumably it isn't ALREADY a USB + PS/2 combo mouse - that's a very common style where the mouse has a USB connector, and includes a PS/2 adapter - this is NOT a universal adapter!

Another old style, was the PS/2 - Serial Combo - If I remember rightly, the mouse had a PS/2 connector, and included a serial adapter (again, NOT universal) - if it had one of those, find it and transfer to serial port.

Keyboards are a bigger problem - unless there is BIOS support for a USB keyboard, it would not be possible check/fix BIOS settings - the BIOS generally doesn't care about a mouse, though there was the brief aberration of mouse control in some 486 BIOSes.

PS. I've been running a fully optical mouse for ages now (corded, and now a cordless with charging holster) - I'd NEVER go back to a ball.

I've also used tracker balls (they get VERY dirty) - and when you get used to the inherent 2-speed operation (holding, or flick and spin), you get very quick.
Favourite device was a BTC keyboard with glidepad, but the keytop lettering wore out (and I'm no touch typist!)

USB mice are said to have a higher report rate, though PS/2 can be accelerated as well - by tweak tools such as those with the Razer BoomSlang, or the freeware PS2Rate utility - faster report = lower lag = more frags - high report rates are a gamer's delight!

The PS/2 port also uses a whole IRQ, and is usually implemented on the ISA bus, and so is unpopular in the trend to "legacy free" systems, and also with those who reckon ISA bus operation is too big a speed bump to PCI devices.

The USB is normally implemented as a PCI bus device - though it also has it's critics, being quite processor demanding at max throughput - though a USB mouse is a mere pinprick in USB capability - not bulk transfer.