Complete newbie needs a little advice..

I've just started getting into this SVCD lark and I'm not totally sure I've got the hang of it. These are the tools I've been told to use:

SmartRipper
DVD2AVI
TMPGEnc
ChapterXChapter
VCD Easy CD

Can anyone shed any light on whether these are the "best" in their field or give me any more info?

Thx

OB

SmartRipper
DVD2AVI
TMPGEnc

will produce some excellent SVCD's but use the latest 2.53 ver of TMPGEnc. Others prefer the DVD2SVCD utility with CCE, but quality of both is now the same. The DVD2SVCD is a bit quicker however.

As for making Chapters within the SVCD, personaly I see no point but I have read that VCDEasy is great for that.

Thx Chickenman

I'm not sure about the Chapter s/w but I was told to use it in the guide I found.

I'll give DVD2SVCD a try too.

Thx

OB

dvd2svcd

here is a kool way to backup dvd`s i havent seen this way mentioned use dvd2svcd(newestbuild) use tmpegenc as the encoder not cce it`s buggy(to me)then when it`s all done mount the image files one at a time with daemon tools (test it)then burn the mounted image with clone cd works great did one last night plays on a regular dvd player i thought this way was kool because you can test the image before burning

Im doing svcds about a year ago .
for plaiyng in my dvd on tv, and tried lots of combinations of software (dvd2avi,virtualdub,tempgenc) (Dvd2svcd).
The best i have found
If you want simple and good you should try

Smartripper
Dvdx
Premiere plugin
Cce sp 2.50

Very quick and suport subtitles
I take whit a PIII 1Ghz - 1024 Sdram Win2k Ntfs -about 4hours.