C'mon u guys! celeron v duron

I'm changing my motherboard and cpu.
For the money I'm prepared to spend the cpu choices are celeron or duron.
probably have to be 1.2 - 1.4gig.
I think a 1.2 celeron is about the same price as a 1.4 duron.
Which should it be? I know athlon are a lot better but I cant afford one.
I've only got 400 celeron at the moment which was fine till I started ripping Dvds, so I need something a bit quicker.
I dont need it for games, just for work, if you know what I mean.:p ;) :D

M

Master

The new celeron cpu´s are as good as the duron´s.
You will get no probs if you will stay with a intel combo !!

A board with a Intel 845D chipset is the first choice.

No nvidia,sis, via or other strange drivers are needed.

Just enjoy your computer ;)

Cheers

Thanx Master!

Knowing this forum though, somebody will post something completely different!;)
Thats 1-0 to celeron.:p

M

Master

I think i made a mistake here...the celerons still need a fcpga2 slot...i don´t know which board has such a slot..

I think the abit Vh6t has such a slot but this board is via based :mad:

might I suggest you have a look at this board I help out at:
h**p://www.ultrapenguin.com/vb/index.php

look under the processor section, where we've had discussions on duron vs athlon vs athlonxp vs celeron vs p3 vs p4 lol.

the latest durons are made with the same batch as the athlon XPs, though with lower frequencies & multiplyers. But they do give a great bang for your buck.
If money is an issue, I would suggest either a duron 1.1 or for an extra $40USD, you can probs get an athlon XP. Just make sure you have the right mobo & DDR memory to comprimise either one.

If you could give me a price range of how much you want to spend (don't by shy), I would be happy to put a recommendation package for you (best bang for your buck thing).
Just PM me if you feel better about it (as I won't be checking the boards too often this week).

The Athlon XP leaves everything else for dead but if the $'s are limited, the Duron 1.4 will be substantially faster than the 1.2 Celery. There really is no choice, go for the Duron, your DVD ripping will love you for it as well.

Don' rush!

Daveml,

Things are on the move!... expect prices for the XP to drop, as AMD prepare to bring out a new type of CPU.. (Hammer is it..?, not sure..)

Take your time, don't let the money burn a hole in your pocket (and your mind.. ;) )

I would certainly go for AMD XP.. I was browsing about here in Dublin.. and prices for the 2000+XP were the same all over the city, 437 euro (High VAT in Ireland, close to 30 percent of price...) a week later one shop had dropped that by 120 euro and the other shops followed.. I had read this was the start of AMD re-jigging their prices.. so you see, had I rushed..

As stated above - Duron and XP prices aren't that far apart, again, just saving that bit longer will bring you greater computer joy later on..

>>X<<

Thanx guys

I think it will definately b AMD.
I've seen an athlon 1.33 266fsb at £77.
Are all athlon XP or do I need to make sure it says so?

Cheers for the gen on P4 poko but I just dont get time to play games any more. Its just ripping DVDs thats the problem.
15hrs to rip a 90 min film is no good for cpu or HDD.
I just hope they keep going until I can upgrade.;) :)

Daveml the athlon 1.33 is probably the XP1500+ that aint a bad price for it.Until the new amd comes out you have either the XP or Duron for amd as the T bird is no longer made.

Laz

And daveml if you want a cheap but real good board look no further than the ECS K7S5A. They retail for about a pathetic £50 at the mo and IMHO for the money they cannot be beat!

It will run DDR or PC133 memory and take all Athlon XP + chips upto 2 gig. I run 2 systems on this mobo and they are rock solid reliable with great performance and dead easy to set-up. I've built more systems using this board in the last year than any other as I've found nothing to touch it on price/performance/reliability. If you go to your nearest computer fair you should get a great deal on mobo/chip/fan. :D

This is why I love this place

So then so far its athlon/duron (athlon prefarably) for CPU.
And definately not Via mobo as Poko thinks its the sperm of the devil!
Any more input on mobos very welcome.

Will I b able to run the nero mp3 encoder on the board you suggested poko!lol
:eek: :D

Poko, you obviously dont like VIA chipset mobo's. Well I've had an ASUS K7V mobo for about 9months with the VIA KT133 chipset and have NEVER seen a BSOD (running Win2000) ever! I push my system to the limit (CPU at 100% for extended hours), I can lock it up at times when I have about 7-8 programs running while I encode a movie but thats just a Windows thing.

I now have the new VIA KT333 chipset mobo and again never seen a BSOD. I have always installed the latest VIA 4in1 drivers when available as well.

Just my experiance. Personly I've had more problems with SIS mobos than with VIA.

mixed bag of goodies =).
I myself own an epox 8KHA+ mobo (viaKT266A) with my Athlon XP 1800 & no probs. It is a solid performer & better than the AMD 761 chip (but not by a huge margin). What you should not do, is if you're running winXP, don't install via drivers, but let winXP install its own drivers (then you won't have problems).
I do think the AMD 761 is a solid performer though, just too bad they haven't released a newer version yet (but I would look out for it). The differences between the viaKT333 & the KT266A are so minimal it isn't worth it (as the AMD chips cannot utilize the full capacity of the DDR 333 RAM yet (expect the hammer to be able to).
Anyhow, this thread is going longer than it should. I've PMed you 2 good places to look for CPU+mobo combos D & prices for some.
(for your celeron, cause you can still recycle your PC100SDRAM, but those sites also have great AMD prices).

PS
No matter what you get, it will be a big performance boost for you, & that's all that matters!
AND also, if you go the way of AMD, make sure you put on thermal paste/compound & have a descent HSF.

Last edited:
Shadoe Oops!

I read your pm before your post so sorry if it seems like I've gone mad!:D
I'm on win98 if that helps.:)

ya I got your latest PM lol, so I updated my info for you there too =).
The via chipsets work fine under win9x, so no big issue there (especially since win9x likes to crash on its own anyways lol, so even if there were probs, doubt anyone would notice hahahaha).
Anyhow, I think I have supplied you with the names of some good AMD 761 mobos & via KT266A mobos.
Let us know what you got, & hope whatever you get works out for the best (am sure it will).

win98

I did try to upgrade to xp.
Worked really great, really liked it!
On the downside my printer didnt work anymore( not supported yet/ever), and my 56k modem only worked at 33k.
So its binned for now, but I will return to it later.
Never had any probs with win98.:D

Oh God thats done it! whats this blue screen I see!:eek: :p

Thanx to everyone

Thanx to everyone for there input.:)
I'll make my decision in a little while, but I'm not telling which mobo I'm going for as the debate on that was split.
However, if it goes pear-shaped I know who to blame!:D

If one of the mods can close this thread please?
If u want to add something just pm me. Ta.;)

Done It

Got the AMD761 mobo and DDR RAM plus a duron 1.2 for £140.
As previously stated 90min film on high quality in tmpgenc took 15 hrs.
Now 90min film takes 3hrs 20mins on the HIGHEST setting.
Thats some upgrade!

Thanx to everyone who gave their opinion.

Special thanx to shadoe phantom for his very helpful PMs.:D ;)

Will upgrade to athlon xp at later date.:p