Chosing an FTP client...

I need a good FTP Clientm and I've tested a few so far, and I've reduced my choice down to two programs:

1. SmartFTP
2. FileZilla!

Both are free, and I would like to know which one do you prefer or if you can recommend me another one (I prefer freeware!).

Both are EXHELLENT ftp clients. If you're not interested in FXP (server to server) transfers, then Filezilla should be your choice (use the latest 2.18b release) which does everything but not FXP. Easier to use than SmartFTP, and stable enough for me.

Now if/when SmartFTP will add the option to save the session ques for transferring them later (this is currently available only for the global ques) it will be the best FTP client I've ever met- and I have used dozens. Not that it is bad as-it-is now, quite the opposite, but I'd like to see this feature implemented.

Currently using Filezilla for normal transfers, and Total Commander 5.51 for FXP jobs.

http://www.webattack.com/freeware/network/fwftp.shtml
Have a rummage!

I believe SmartFTP caused some offence to the diehards in alt.comp.freeware - by becoming Nagware - if used during business hours, it will randomly remind you of the personal licence terms.

I settled on Filezilla - I like freeware, but prefer it open-source - not that I'd get much from the source, but any rubbish about time-outs and nags would be found and stripped by others.

(another controversial program in ACF - 40tude dialog newsreader .... it's actually a timed beta, with the promise of a free version). other supposed freeware was found to have an undisclosed timeout.

Last edited:
Personally, I will stick to Leechftp. It is free, multi-threaded, saves and loads queues, and works on everything from Win95 to 2003. It is extremely small (1.37mb) and just works.

http://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/index.php?a=view&id=157

Added in build 973 - http://www.smartftp.com/changelog.php

While it may seem a small niggle - The reminder is apparently rather abrupt - and according to one charitable organization's IT manager, results in too many support calls.

Whilke it is currently on the 2003 ACF Pricelessware list - www.pricelessware.org - it is unlikely to receive strong support next time - i believe it narrowly avoided removal - there is ZERO tolerance for spyware, nagging, adware, or upgrade-taunting

poncho said:
FlashFxp is the best ftp client. It only cost $25 and you get free life time upgrades.
Certainly the easiest to use/most intuitive... but why best? In fact it's SSL support is still elementary, and based on the basic putty libraries. It also doesn't support "indent" which can be a major issue, unless all you're interested is leeching public or private servers- and it also doesn't allow using multiple threads on one server (eg finding new stuff while you're already downloading).
IMHO once used to it's peculiar GUI and the potential of the "global queue", SmartFTP is easily the most powerful FTP client available- probaby not for no-brainers, but certainly for anyone that is willing to spent 20 minutes to read the program tutorials. Next best should be IglooFTP pro (Linux port also available, costing 30$ for LIFETIME registration- not that popular though as there are free stuff there like gFTP and the commandline lFTP which do a great job...), but at 40$ per year it can be rendered as costly.
I also consider AceFTP pro and FTP Voyager as better programs than FlashFXP, just a bit more tricky to use.

My vote is with FLASHFXP i found most standard FTP clients cannot handle OBSCURE port numbers usually of more than 4 figures ?! :( also i find most other ftp clients cannot make head nor tail of odd ftp names too !? :(

so im gunna stick with FLASHFXP until the internet breaks no doubt for sheer ease of use and compatibility :)

used smartftp for a long time, dunno how good is it now but was great when i used it
now using cuteftp pro cause of its transfer engine, got a global queue too and several other nice features (pw encryption, ssl connections, sftp ...)
quite expensive ($59.95) but i love it
using flashfxp as alternative if fxp fails with cftp, but two server connections is too less for me ...
forti