ChickenMan, help please :)

Hi Everybody,
i've downloaded a avi file from a news groups. In the nfo file, I've just seen it's not a DivX but it's a XviD :confused:
I can't paly it on my computer with my usual players.
I'd like to do as I usualy do with the divx I get : convert the file into vcd or svcd. Is there a way to do this please ?
I've read something about Vidomi... I don't know if it can be useful in this case, though !
Well, shortly, my question is : how do I convert a Xvid (avi) into a Divx (avi) or, better, in to a vcd.
Thanks in advance

well jazzman, I know the latest vidomi comes with the xvid codec, so you can always try downloading & installing that. Then tmpgenc could probably recognize it (if not I know flaskMPEG does), & obviously vidomi will, so I assume that virtual/nan-dub will.
Hope that helps some.

Same answer as Shadoe_Phantom has given. I have the VidX codec installed ( part of Nimo Codec pack from _http://nimo.everwicked.com/ ) but since I dont think I have any Xvid encoded I cant be sure if Tmpgenc sees the codec or not. Cant see why not, I'm just unable to confirm.

Thanks mates :)
I've installed the XviD codec (not sure it's the latest, though, as they release a new one every day :D ).
All is OK. I could read the Xvid avi file with my usual players and last but not least, the codec is seen by VirtualDub, NanDub and TMPGEnc :)
Then, I assume I can extract the audio track with VD and re-encode to mpg with TMPGEnc...

Yep, extract the audio as WAV with VD. Use the original AVI file as Video source in Tmpgenc and use the new WAV as audio source.

If that still fails, load the Xvid file into VD and for Video set compression to DivX, say 1300 bitrate, then Save AVI. Could take a few hours to do that, then use the new AVI in Tmpgenc to convert to VCD.

It's been a while since this thread was posted and I am having the same problem convert Xvid to VCD through TMPGenc. It seems that TMPGenc doesn't like the Xvid codec yet (tried the latest version 2.57.41.1 Plus).

I was just wondering if there was another way of getting around this besides converting the Xvid to a high bitrate DivX through Virtual Dub.

If not then my super fast P800 isn't going to be very impressed with the idea (I'll have to break the news to him a little bit at a time) :)

What Xvid codec have you installed? I just tried "The New Guy" AVI encoded with Xvid with VBR MP3 sound. I just stripped the Audio out with VD as usual and used the AVI for Video and stripped & convered Audio for Audio source, loaded in NTSC VCD Template, set to Highest Quality and hit Encode. Been encoding for the past hour with no problems at all. Stopped and checked mpg file, very good indead. Maybe a little on the dark side.

Thats using latest TMPGEnc Plus 2.57 with an Xvid codec I installed a few months back.

Thanks Chickenman. I will try the latest Xvid codec although the one I am using was downloaded a few weeks ago.

Many thanks for the good advice (as per usual). I'll keep you posted.

Okay. It seems to be working with the latest Xvid codec. At first it threw an fatal exception in kernal 32.dll error (which sometimes happens in TMPGenc). I tried it again and it seemed to work.

Thank you for the good advice Chickenman