check your antivirus if you dare

just saw this in another forum with the W word, and felt I have to reproduce it here (thanks goes to leech)

Quote:

Are you man enough to test your antivirus ???
Saw this and found it interesting - I hereby state that I am not responsible for any errors caused by doing this ..

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK !!

Post what Anitivirus you are using and then your results, we will then see what one is the best ..

Now are you man enough , or just a ***** ??

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this originated from neowin by dreamthief:

Since most would like to argue bout what is the best antivirus. I decided to open this thread solely for testing your preferred antivirus. This is a compilation of a group of hackers.

*************WARNING*************
THIS IS NOT FOR THE SCAREDY CATS. THERE ARE ALL VALID VIRUSES. DO NOT OPEN THEM OR EXTRACT THEM TO ANY LOCATION. SAFEST METHOD TO TEST YOUR ANTIVIRUS IS TO SCAN THE COMPRESSED FILE. I WILL NOT TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR YOUR ACTION.

Here's a link to download an archive file containing the viruses. READ THE WARNING BELOW BEFORE CLICKING HERE

h**p://fette-toolz.blackworld4u.de/virus/455VIREN.zip

TEST THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

If you dare to take this challenge, do post the screenshots of the antivirus in action and please do not use any Photoshoping skills to manipulate the results.

Try to post at least the following information for others to evaluate
1) Program/scan engine version (Exm NAV 2004, AVG 6 Paid Version, SAV 9.0.0.338 and etc)
2) Any settings you changed
3) Screenshots (Optional as proof)

Contrary to the filename which tells you 455 viruses, no it is not. Actual total is 593. If your antivirus detected them all, well done.

ps: i had a hardtime deciding if this is GC or support matterial
and since it's not a question, i posted it here.
anyone differ and have the power may move/delete upon his/her discresion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did this with McAfee 7.1 enterprise, It found 587 infected files. What I did was download it, keep the files in the zip archive then ran the antivirus on that .. Good luck and as stated I am not responsible for any damage done to your pc because of this ..

eTrust EZ, paid; last version with today updates. Options: normal scan, include subfolders, heuristic scan, all files

just reported 582 infections of 594 files inspected :mad: :mad: :mad: boy I'm pissed (should be 593 infected files)

eTrust EZantivirus didn't found:
va-vl-b.exe
va-vl-a.exe
vacsina.vacsina-loader.a.exe
stoned.standard.img.exe
rpart_c.exe
dvir1701.exe
courier.exe
config12.exe
cannab2.exe
balooch.exe
4907.exe

same results after the auto check when FlashGet ends downloading as running the check from the antivirus program itself.

When I did the check with the Non-Standard Scan option it reported a virus in the first file and stopped there

Scanning file(s)...
I:\xxx\1New\455viren.zip - infected with Darth Vader 3 virus.
Finished scanning: 23:11:23, 16/07/2004
Number of files scanned: 1.
Number of infections: 1
Number of infected files not cleaned/deleted/renamed: 1
I:\xxx\1New\455viren.zip (Darth Vader 3 virus)​

Would that mean that if I run the non detected files I'll be dammed forever? Ain't there a second line protection?

I'm using eTrast since it was free and never had any trouble yet :confused: :confused: :confused: :( :( :(

PD: wasn't allowed to attach a screenshot of the scan. What's the trick, or it's just for supermods?

Last edited:
1. This test is absolutely useless, and even misleading.
2. These viruses are older than the Great Wall.
3. Avast! 4 Home Edition found 585, both when scanning the zipfile and the extracted ones.
4. Files untouched: 1226b_dr, 4907, 646, balooch, config_r, courier, cvirus, dvir1701, fattable, hllo.virus1_9, hllo.virus2_0, rpart_c, run, voodoo.

Now time for a REAL test, that one has no meaning at all.

MKS_Vir 2004 definitions dated 16/7/04 & heuristics at standard, 2nd test with it set to high

Test 1

Test 2

BaNzI :D

Last edited:
scarecrow said:
1. This test is absolutely useless, and even misleading.
2. These viruses are older than the Great Wall.
Now time for a REAL test, that one has no meaning at all.
while someone provide a better test I think it's still very useful to know how your antivirus is doing with "viruses older than the Great Wall" and to see how different antiviruses perform. I wasn't happy to know my first rated antivirus couldn't detect 11 matusalemic viruses, performing worse than most other solutions

it also means that you can cheat antivirus using old viruses, and that ain't helping me feel better

Last edited:
They may be old, but they are still viruses, and available to any moron that might email one to somebody as a file - Nakedcelebs.jpg.exe (One reason you should never hide extensions for known filetypes!)

Surely no AV would DROP anything from it's list, just because they are old - they'd rather brag about how MANY they can detect, so this means that those that don't detect ALL, never did even when they weren't old.

Maybe some were never classified as "wild", but the open circulation of them risks any that are not already detected becoming wild - not as rampant as the daily email worm variant, admittedly.

Here is my test with latest version of Avast 4.1 pro with latest VPS update, thourgh scan with archive scanning enabled

586 detected, seems mine found one more than Scarecrow's test :confused:

Hum...
Using avast.

Using the right mouse button and selecting "scan this file" it detected the virus, but only in one file... It stopped after this!!! So if I run again I have another virus; it deletes only on file at the time... grrrrr...

LOL Scarecrow, didnt think o that :D

@Big_gie, i ticked the dont show dialog again & it scanned the rest ok, just hope that setting doesnt hold for every scan :)

big_gie said:
Hum...
Using avast.

Using the right mouse button and selecting "scan this file" it detected the virus, but only in one file... It stopped after this!!! So if I run again I have another virus; it deletes only on file at the time... grrrrr...
If you have set it to delete or quarantine automatically the viruses found, it will work like that if it scans a packed file.
So, either set it to "continue scanning" or "clean" (as there's nothing to be cleaned in those viruses- all that can be done is deleting them, so it will go on without doing nothing...), or stop the real time monitor, unpack in a folder and then use the on-demand scanner. I'm pretty sure you will also find 585 of it, but it doesn't matter at all- the real protection is against viruses which are in the wild which is hardly the case here.
Anyway, 585 for such a set of transverstie- viruses (some of them won't do a thing on NT machines, even their code will fail to execute...) is not a bad score at all.

Last edited:

Leiw

hmmm downloaded until 98% and then PC-Cillin 2004 with latest pattern/scan engine immediatly found viruses so it deleted it before the download could even finish lol

that is some decent tool