Cheapest CDRW/DVDRW combo drive?

StressTest

Hello gang,

I'm building a system for my Dad and he doesn't want to spend a boat load of money on a drive, but I've convinced him to at least get a CDRW/DVDRW combo drive so that he can have the best of both worlds from this box I'm building him.

I've heard that the LiteOn drives are some of the cheapest and also some of the best out there for burning so I'd like to get your feedback on the particular model and price that is a combo drive.

Thank you in advance for your feedback and help.

BTW, I have a Plextor 708A and I love it but I'd like to find something a little cheaper for his machine.

AFAIK all DVD-RW drives can burn CD-RW as well... do you mean CDRW/DVD-ROM combo drives?
LiteOnIt has made a great one at approx. 80$.

@ StressTest

If you look in the right places you can get a Lite On LDW-451S (4X(+R) 4X(+RW) & 4X(-R) 2X(-RW) & 40/24/40/12) (DVD±R/RW) for less than a hundred bucks.

I just got one from Wal-Mart for $98.87. It works flawlessly.

Regards,
Coaster

StressTest

scarecrow said:
AFAIK all DVD-RW drives can burn CD-RW as well... do you mean CDRW/DVD-ROM combo drives?
LiteOnIt has made a great one at approx. 80$.
Yep that's exactly what I'm referring to.

Which model are you talking about? I'm looking for a specific model so I know what to search for at newegg.

Thanks for your help,

StressTest

Coaster said:
@ StressTest

If you look in the right places you can get a Lite On LDW-451S (4X(+R) 4X(+RW) & 4X(-R) 2X(-RW) & 40/24/40/12) (DVD±R/RW) for less than a hundred bucks.

I just got one from Wal-Mart for $98.87. It works flawlessly.

Regards,
Coaster
Now that's promising. Does Liteon have a model that does 4x all the way around on the DVD-R and -RW?

StressTest said:
Now that's promising. Does Liteon have a model that does 4x all the way around on the DVD-R and -RW?
Yes their 8 series have this.(851,812) not to sure on the 811?