cheap!!1 NEW P4 CPU

02coled

HELLO
any one know of any cheap online or in essex pc shops or people that are selling cheap P4 SKT 478, 533/800MHZ FSB cpu's of about 3ghz-3.4 more for money would be better obvioulsy as my celeron as every one keeps saying is pretty poor at multi taksing and general stuff on pc
so if any one knows any webby's for what i want new or old please say
thanks
damian cole

I may dissapoint you, but I bought failry recently a PIV-3GHz /800 FSB for socket 478 with 1 MB L2 cache, new, boxed, for as "little" as $ 230... and I considered the price fair enough.

02coled

hello
SCARECROW was this from an online shop or something else if so could you please tell me so i can browse and have a look at it does seem a good $$$
thanks
damian

That was flat price, VAT included - retail store in Athens, Greece. Actually the price was 198.40 euro, you can convert it to $$$ yourself.
The newegg.com offer seems pretty good- IF there is a real stock for s478 CPU's there.
One could expect to find them way cheaper, but since the socket 775 Prescotts were admittedly a failure (taking under consideration the price/performance ratio, when compared to Athlon XP's), the s478 ones are still quite expensive, and they will probably stand like that until they completely drop from Intel's production lines.

Last edited:

02coled

hello
should i get a northwood core as every one seems to always be complaingin about how prescots run to hott is this a real worry and is there any performance difference
thanks
damian

Prescotts run hot indeed, but if you don't overclock this is a non-issue... the default fan and cooler that comes with the CPU should suffice.

02coled said:
hello
why do they run hotter
Various reasons... different internal architecture, more L2 cache, more power consumption, thinner chip elements...
The latest dualcore CPU's are getting even hotter- they don't match yet AthlonXP which was easily boiling eggs, but they do get damn hot.

02coled

how hott we talking

hello
thanks for all the replys guys
and how hott are we talking 4 the prescots and what temps at stock cooling e.g the one supplied by intel and what does any one recomend for them
thanks
damian cole

Around 60 Celcius for normal usage, and 8-10 degrees more for high system loads is normal for a Prescott. If you don't intend overclocking, keep the Intel fan.