Centrex Stand alone DVD player $98 AUS $45 US

Are thes dvd players any good ? after this one as my Pioneer ($599 AUS) is piece of crap .. no zoom .. no mp3 support .. doesn't play some dvd-r's ...

Betta Electrical in OZ offering them .. don't know whether there OZ wide or just NT & SA .. found in there catalogue .. no model number .. can't find any info on inet ..

thx in advance

It can't be too good, but 45 $ aren't too good either... in fact it is less than half of the sum any working cheap standalone DAC converter costs.
Check out Toshiba SD-4800 or SD-43HT, both got big thumbs up at recent reviews- are not on the expensive side.

dx

I have a Toshiba SD-4800 and love it! Picked it up at Best Buy for $130 USD a month ago. An excellent Progressive scan, 24-Bit/192kHz PCM audio, Dolby Digital and DTS. Has both coaxial & optical outputs and will play your .mp3's and DVD-R, CD-R, CD-RW's. It also plays DVD-Audio (I only have one, but it sounds amazing!).

Highly reviewed and a great buy for the price! :cool:

A friend of mine bought one of them about a month ago. I think the build quality is bad and I expect it to break soon. He thinks it's really good. He says it plays (Apart from the usual DVD-Video, VCD, SVCD and CD) MP3, WMA, MPEG1, 2 and 4 (+DivX), JPEG, GIF, PNG, QuickTime, DVD-Audio and Text files from ISO1+2 and UDF. It doesn't carry any Windows Media tags (like my Panasonic S35 does for WMA playback) and it circumvents WMA DRM content protection so I suspect that some of the codecs it has are being illegally used. It also doesn't have macrovision or region coding, which, while being a good thing, also makes me think that the manufacturers haven't paid any DVD licensing fees. I wouldn't suspect it to be as bad if it wasn't for the AU$99 price tag. Considering the files it is supposed to read, AU$99 would only cover licensing fees alone for all those file formats.