CeBit #1: Engelmann Media

N.B.

Staff member
Hiya !
<br>
<br>
It took some time, but now I have some interessting news for you.
Me was talking about 2 hours, and maybe even more to Mr. Engelmann.
Kinda knowledge guy, and the man behind many cdr applications.
I will try to reflect all the things he told me.
Let me first start with his sight of the CDR market, especially if it comes to software.
<br>
<br>
<b>CloneCD</b>
<br>
Mr. Kastl is surely a smart guy, but in the past days and weeks he promised things,
and couldn´t hold the release dates. Surely because he is kinda busy ! Anyhow,
we are waiting for the CD mastering built in CloneCD since a long time ...
DVDClone is on the way, but ... nobody has even a screenshot, so ?
Our guess is that Mr. Kastl is running out of ressources, not money, but time
which is surely a problem ! In my humble opinion, CloneCD grew too fast, and
the team behind the program didn´t.
<br>
<br>
<b>Blindwrite</b>
<br>
The guy who developes the program is surely skilled. The problem is:
Their team is way too small to compete with the others. Release dates are
postponed, features are left out of the releases and other troubles, you surely know
once you have used the program. It is kinda hard for them. The deal with BHV ended
in a mess, yeah, they didn´t had it easy and so ...
<br>
<br>
<b>Nero</b>
<br>
Ahead has a big team, and is surely one of the biggest player on the OEM market.
Since they sell Nero for cheap. The one in all solution. I see here some upcomming
troubles, as Mr. Engelmann does. Every Nero release is buggier then the one before.
This cannot go long this way. Anyhow, they story repeats, wasn´t it the same with WinOnCD ?
The one in all solution ? Worked pretty fine, and gone worse with every release ?
Yeah, WinOnCD was bundled with every burner in the past years, and now ? I think Ahead
is heading in to the same direction, surely it isn´t easy to fix bugs, and build in new
features in a THAT big project, anyhow, they have to bring a stable version 6 soon,
otherwise people will look out for others ! Finally Alcohol or even CloneCD might
bring the mastering feature, which might be the end of Nero.
<br>
<br>
<b>Alcohol</b>
<br>
A very interessting story. Kinda impressive how many people already use this gem.
Alcohol had the ability to copy all the new protections, when CloneCD didn´t make it.
So many people did jump over, since Alcohol uses a way better user interface anyhow.
Now they are working on some more programs, and yes, we are ready to see what comes next.
Anyhow, I think their ressources are not as big to compete with the others.
Mr. Engelmann told me, that there was a dvd ripper released for the Japan market which was a flop !
Not in sales, more the program itself. Which really sux ! I am not sure what will happen to them,
but I hope they will find the right way, since Alcohol is right now the best cloner IMHO.
<br>
<br>
<b>WinOnCD</b>
<br>
One of the most used programs in the past, but suddenly it turned into a dead duck.
It is really interessting how fast you can ruin a brand name. Some months ago WinOnCD was really the best.
And now ? Who uses it anymore ? People who are scared of changes ... I am not sure what are the plans for Roxio,
but they would have the resources and the knowledge to build another good program. Not sure if it is a new product,
or just a major update ! One thing for sure: finally they should drop EasyCD Creator or WinOnCD, one product for
the world market, not 2 or maybe more. Let us wait and see what the future brings !
<br>
<br>
<br>
Summary:
<br>
The time is right for BIG things to happen ! copy protected DVDs are comming, and all people wait for the solution.
It is time for new programs, new tools and THE revolution. Right now it is just that nobody has a solution.
All people are waiting for it, it is just a race, who ever will bring out the product first, will be the hero.
Who is the last, will sink . That for sure. It is a shame that Elby and VSO Software seem to run out ressources !
Really, I like CloneCD, and the new features of BlindWrite, but they need a bigger/better team, so finally they can
release their products in time. I think same is for Alcohol ! Though that hurts too ...
Anyhow, we all will see what happens next, this is just a sneak look into the scene.
Time will bring the answers, and hopefully some good programs !
<br>
<br>
More to come :)

N.B.

Staff member
Thanks people ..
as stated more will follow soon ! :)
It is just that it would be far too long to read if I would write down everything ...
I am aware that right now it is one sided, but this will change once the rest is posted ! For sure :)

Nice one N.B..Lot of intersting info there

cant wait 4 the rest

Cheers

BaNzI:)

Personally i prefer Alcohol, but then after all im an alcoholic:D :D

No offence, but i can tell you that not all his info is any where near correct, Point 1, Alcohol actualy has more resources and backers than is publicly known,
2 VSO soft and the BHV deal are no where near dead, i myself had a meeting with both at CEBIT and trust me, there are plans afoot, and BHV has the money to sink into VSO as there main supplyer of burning soft for there apps,
the rest, no idea ;)
3 Mr. Kastl actualy did have screenshots, and was prepered to show them at the plextor "after show party" on friday ;)
These things i KNOW as i was there , as i said, about the other points i have no idea :D

B

burner61

Hello NB,

are you really thinking that Mr. Engelmann is a good source of information.
He is the man who is selling the cdrwin 5 crap and of course he will tell you bad things about other companys.

N.B.

Staff member
Justin, go and flame at another place :)
You wouldn´t be the first to be banned from this place ...
I am not happy about what goes on about Alcohol, but they do not released their product in time, that is why me posted this info text ... and surely some things are not total correct in this article ...
About VSO, BlindWrite is there for long, and still not too much people use, so it always a bit laggind behind .. not in features or brilliance, but people do not really accept it .. at least it seems like ! Yeah, maybe the next deal with BHV is better, but afaik the first deal was a mess, let us see what future brings :)
Yeah, and Olli .. ehm ... Just posted what I think ...

Mr. Engelmann is surely a good source for such things ...
Anyhow, we were more likely discussing the whole situation. And right now .. Elby, VSO and Alcohol are racing for their DVD software. I am not sure who will win ...
But we will see ..
About CDRWin5, yeah it is dead anyhow, so ...

I didn´t wrote about Engelmann releases yet, since I have to form that first, but my marks for their products isn´t better at all ..
So please wait till everything is online ...

I know that CDRWin5 was bad, and other bad things as well so ...

dx

All right everyone..... let's just cool it and realize that we are dealing with opinions. Mr. Engelmann, N.B., The1englishman, burner61, etc. are all entitled to their opinions.

If you disagree with Mr. Engelmann, N.B., or anyone in question here, just say you respectfully disagree and state your case. Stating that an opinion was stupid or crap (whether you say the words or not) is unproductive and just gets people angry. We are all human after all. ;)

So let's all chill and stop slagging & sabotaging around here. In here we are a small community of friends! Let us never forget that!!!

I cant for the life of me see where i flamed, i mean, i thought i put it across as nicely as i could, by reacting to a posting. but this time iam completely shocked as i see no flame anywhere in the thread ! i do see good discussion about cdr software though !

Cant see what their problem is.N.B. went a lot of trouble 2 get that info & he starts gettin slagged off.Give the Guy a Break.He is tryin 2 help us all out so cut him some slack

Cheers N.BKeep up the good work & hope CDrsoft gets goin agian soon.At least some of us apprecaite what Uve done.So keep up the good work M8

BaNzI:)

Last edited:

N.B.

Staff member
HeHe ..
t1e ... the flame wasn´t really linked to that post ... more likely to the whole stuff you do around the forum ...