CDRW drive not recognized - reading

I have a Compaq 5000z desktop and my operating system is Windows XP. The CD drive works fine. But the CDRW drive is not listed under Device Manager nor will the drive door open. Sometimes when I boot up the system I get the following message: The following configuration options were automatically updated: It will always list the C (local disk) and D (system sav) drives and E: drive (CD drive). But it never lists the F drive which is the CDRW drive. Thanks.

Check 2 make sure that Ur bios is recognizin the CDRW, also check 2 see if the cable/s have worked loose & the power connector

Also might be an idea 2 check the jumpers on the back of the drive, ideally U want the burner as Master on the secondary IDE with the CDROM, that way it won't be slowin down Ur hard disks

If U can give us more info like if it a new drive or old 1, if it was workin ok but not now that kind of thing it would be a help:)

BaNzI:D

@ banzi !? :confused: this setup for some people will cause headache for "on the fly copying" as both roms are on the same IDE CABLE :( best setup is have both cdroms on the very ends of the ide connector cables one on each cable/ide and anything else like hard drives and secondary hard drives etc after these :)

some can work the setup you have there bud ...but a lot of people recommend the one on each cable as more relliable :)

Maybe so bud, but havin an optical drive on the same cable as a HD will slow things down:)

Even with the setup U mention U can still get probs with on the fly copyin, 4 more reliablity it always best 2 buffer 2 the HD first

Besides im just tryin 2 see if checkin the cables makes the drive get recognised:)

BaNzI:D