CDR Media.

A-Traveller

Thanks Duracell.

"try the yellow, orange or black Intenso packages, they are my current favorites"

So your guess is that the media is to blame?

"disable buffer underrun protection in Nero's recorder settings, try some simulations first, then burn; if you get buffer underruns, then Nero prompts an error"

Isn't it possible to check for a buffer underrun AFTER burning the CD (like how you can with C1/C2 errors)?

During burning my latest CDR, the buffer bar frequently went back to 0%. Is this something to be worried about?

A-Traveller said:
So your guess is that the media is to blame?
if you use trusted media, you can already exclude one problem of some potential trouble makers;

Isn't it possible to check for a buffer underrun AFTER burning the CD (like how you can with C1/C2 errors)? ... During burning my latest CDR, the buffer bar frequently went back to 0%. Is this something to be worried about?
0% filled buffer means buffer underun;
buffer underuns resulting in C2 errors, worst case in C1 too; but there is no tool to check if the initial reasons were buffer underuns;
What's the problem to disable this "feature" and run some simulations? so you don't wast media;

Do you have DMA enabled for your drives? drives PIO mode is a good reason for buffer underuns;
read here how to enable DMA: http://www.dvdrbase.com/showthread.php?t=32137
and not doing "on the fly" copys is another method to avoid buffer underuns;

A-Traveller

There is already a check mark next to DMA in the settings tab of the burner. I didn't find anything about "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers". Couldn't find anything to do with PIO either.

I haven't done any on-the-fly copies.

Could you explain why the software's buffer-underrun feature could be a problem? I don't understand that one. I'm still a learner.

A-Traveller said:
There is already a check mark next to DMA in the settings tab of the burner. I didn't find anything about "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers". Couldn't find anything to do with PIO either.
now you have to provide the usual infos:
OS?
motherboard fabricator and model?
chipset fabricator and model?
installed chipset driver version?
Which burning applications/engines are currently installed and which were installed formerly?
a diagnostic tool like the former AIDA32 :eek: may help you: http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1

Could you explain why the software's buffer-underrun feature could be a problem? I don't understand that one. I'm still a learner.
the software (Nero) don't have a own "buffer-underrun feature"; if you check or uncheck it in Nero you turn it on or off in the drive itself; it's a hardware feature switchable by the software;
Nero doesn't report buffer underruns as long as the feature is enabled, because the drive should handle underruns itself at hardware level; if the feature is disabled then Nero noticed the underunds an spits out "burning failed - buffer underrun";
so there is no problem with the feature, you should disable it only for testing purposes, so you can see if you really get underruns;

A-Traveller

Thanks for the very helpful explanation regarding buffer underruns. I get it now.

I've done three CDs and have only had the bar returning to zero on one of them. Maybe it was just a one-off. I didn't shut off my anti-virus, firewall and other things in startup and I didn't do ScanDisk or Defrag either, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I think I'll try a few more CDs and do a few simulations like you suggested incase it was just a little hiccup.

Anyway, here's the info you requested:

OS? W98SE
motherboard fabricator and model? QDI Kinetiz (my manual is in a very difficult place to reach, so I haven't included the model no. here.)
chipset fabricator and model? I know I have a VIA chipset, but that's all I know.
installed chipset driver version? See above.
Which burning applications/engines are currently installed and which were installed formerly? Currently, Nero and Burrrn (that reminds me; Nero recommended against having any other burning software installed at the same time so that could be another cause.) Formerly, all the ones that have been recommended on this and other boards, EAC, BAO, etc.

A-Traveller said:
I think I'll try a few more CDs and do a few simulations like you suggested incase it was just a little hiccup.
so you surely getting a conclusion after a few tries;

OS? W98SE
W9x: you are right, DMA is checkable in the divice manager on the drive settings itself not in the IDE controller settings;

I know I have a VIA chipset, but that's all I know. installed chipset driver version? See above.
if your problems won't go away try to update VIA's chipset drivers: http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=300
it shouldn't harm;
the same for the ASPI drivers, update to 4.6 (b1021): http://www.dvdrbase.com/showthread.php?t=32137

Currently, Nero and Burrrn ... EAC, BAO, etc.
EAC and BAO aren't problematic; don't know about Burrrn; Anyone here with knowledge about?