CD Writer Question

Mr. Muddle

Hi.

Could anyone tell me what the following means? (It is an extract from a consumer review for a CD Writer.)

"Doesn't support multi-language. So you can't copy any mp3 file with tag language other than English to your CD. Poor documentation and on-line support."

What is the tag language of an mp3 file? How do I know what tag langauge my mp3's are using?

Thanks.

Mr. Muddle

P.S. Any suggestions for a good CD Writer? Can't afford an expensive one. (I need it to get many, many gigabytes of audio from my pc onto CD.)

taken from a google searck on "MP3 tags explained" no quotes :)

MP3 files include ID3 <u>tags</u> that provide artist, song title, and album name information to the player. Working with this data, a player can organize the files for you, though each does it in its own way.
and thats basically it just a way of adding data to an mp3 so its easy to tell what album/artist the track is from in a visual form :)

guessing here the language it means is basically the language they are typed/created in such as (english,french,german,spanish) whatever your native tongue/language it is :)

usually when you look at the properties of an mp3 in a player such as winamp it will tell you what type of mp3 tag it is such as ID3 or ID3v2 which is the version number of the tagging with each offering different styles of tagging :)

I think in the case of what the review is saying here is that it will handle any mp3 thats created and tagged in the ENGLISH LANGUAGE as opposed to say french or german :)

If any other language other than english does not mean it will not work, i think more that it will not tag the files to be usuable in an MP3 TAG capable player ... ie one that reads the tag and displays it on the display of the player for easy recognition :)

or possibly this just means that the language of the instruction manual is ONLY in ENGLISH ?!

recommendation for a writer ....get a LITEON i would say about 80-90% of forum users own a LITEON and have little or no problems using them or owning them :)

They are dirt/very cheap and do the job just great :)

im sure that many others will also swear by them as good cheap burners :)

VIPER_1069 said:
recommendation for a writer ....get a LITEON i would say about 80-90% of forum users own a LITEON and have little or no problems using them or owning them :)

They are dirt/very cheap and do the job just great :)

im sure that many others will also swear by them as good cheap burners :)
I agree and if they don't have one they should.....:D

@PC-GUY i have a PLEXTOR no LITEON at all lol :p but....... years of being here tells me that MORE people own a LITEON than they do PLEXTOR ;)

some have best of both worlds and have BOTH :)

jonss

Sony have started marketing the LDW-811S under their flag so Liteon can't be too bad. My 411S has'nt caused me any grief at all and firmware upgrades are readily available.

Cdrinfo also revied a Pacific Digital DVD +/- - that's also an 811S - it even comes up as one.
Sony's current CD-RW drives are Liteon rebrands, or if you want a cheap rebrand, look out for the TX.

Optorite seem to be gaining ground, popular at my local computer fair, but not sure if they're a match for the Liteon's - better looking than than the Liteons, but is beauty only skin deep?

LTR12101B said:
Optorite seem to be gaining ground, popular at my local computer fair, but not sure if they're a match for the Liteon's - better looking than than the Liteons, but is beauty only skin deep?
I have a DD0401 :cool: I love it, it burns everthing I throw at it and plays fine in Apex, Pioneer, PS2. But I thought we where talking about CD writers.:confused:

writers

Well,since we are talking about audio..people saying that plextor is the best..i never had a one so cant tell......but you should choose betwween plextor and liteon......i know that liteon is good for games..anyway its cheap and reliable and should do good :)
PS..I think that plextor is not worth extra money..its just me thinking..i might be wrong :)
Just be sure you use eac and everything will be good :)

Mr. Muddle

Hi.

Thanks for all the responses!

Incidentally, the quote WAS for a Lite On Cd Writer (52/24/52).

I am only going to be needing it to get audio from my pc onto CD; never for games, video, etc.

Can I change the tag in Windows Media Player and Real Player?

Thanks again.

Can you point us to the site?

I'd say it has to be a SOFTWARE issue that's being described, as the writer itself does not understand MP3 tags in ANY language - there's probably quite a few MP3 tag programs around.

Here's one for starters
http://massid3lib.sourceforge.net/
Open-source, so no place for scummy spyware to be hiding either!

MP3 tags have nothing to do with hardware... so the right warning should be: "Bundled with crap software! Use it at your own risk..."

Just seen the cnet comment- it clearly refers to the bundled software, not the drive itself. And it is not necessary for all the drive buyers to get the same software bundle- in EU liteons come with Nero 5, but I think in other countries you have to chew EZCD Cremator.
MP3 tags are editable by a whole bunch of programs- some of them both freeware and exhellent... check this thread, for example:
http://www.dvdrbase.com/showthread.php?t=33990