CD Writer+ CDR Media Compatibility?

What is best test to check which CDR brands work best with your CD writer? A recent issue of Australian PC User tested CDR brands on 2 burners - Verbatim achieved excellent results burning with a Samsung but poor results with a BenQ. I thought I might test my no-name burner but would like some advice on how to go about it. What data to test with(although I'm more concerned about audio and SVCDs) and what software to compare results etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

The data you use to test should be the same data you plan to use the media for. Compatibility can be tricky for older (meaning anything over 2 years old) stand alone DVD players when using cdr's. My experience has been that you'll have minor problems with the writer, such as incorrect reading of the burning speed of the media and things like that with generic media. Unless you plan to order off the web then I would say that you should go to your local retailer and purchase one of each brand available, and rated for the same speed as your writer. No 48x cd's for 24x burner. Check the MFG website for their recomendations. Hope this helps.

It is also important to test readability on other drives - for Sanyo/Mediatek based drives, CDR Doctor does a fair job of reporting C1/C2 errors. Each lower type of error, tends to be a predictor of worse ones.

Eg. Nero CDSpeed reports no lower than C2 (if that), so a CD with high C1/C2 rates would be classed as "perfect", but has little leeway for further degradation.

But combined with testing in the writer, you should verify in another drive that IS reliable with good CD-R, as well as tesing in a "difficult" drive like a CD audio player or DVD if that's the target - no point having a "perfect" burn, if the target reader does not tolerate it!