cd-r that xbox can read?

YES ANY if either are mod chipped or modified :)

or in the case of the ps2 any music cdr should play fine :)

and the X-BOX a music cd written to a CDRW works fine oddly enough but not a normal plain cdr !?!

other than this you definatley need some sort of modification for both :)

Askar

I believe that newer xboxs will play cdrs just fine. Mine does at least. I have two xboxs. One is a launch xbox, the other I bought 3 or 4 months ago. The old one won't use cdrs but the new one does.

The x-box have 3 different brands of dvd drives who behave in 3 different ways whit cd-r.The first ones where made by Thompson and they doesn`t read cd-r at all, theire better on cdrw.
Then came the Philips drive who read atleast some brands of cd`s, try Mr Platinum, works for me.Or else cdrw.
The 3rd drive is made by Samsung and it reads almost any cd you put in it.
But you cant tell by manufacturingdate what drive it`s in it, i think the Tompson drive is gone but you can get either Philips or Samsung whenever it`s made.

<<< Snoppen >>>

bernieo

xbox cdr

ive heard off different forums that memorex cdrw are the best for xbox
not tried personally , and it depend on drive.

daman371

I got one cd-r to work in the thompson drive in the xbox I bought when it first came out. I burned it without auto insert notification and the type of disc was a TDK. It worked and I copied the songs of it and couldn't get another cd-r to work in it. Does anyone know how this happened?

auto insert has no effect on the burn of a disk its merely there for auto running bootable cds and music cds in a computer system :)

chances are u was lucky with the TDK !?

yet a CDRW works every time !? :)

Like Snoppen said , it depends what drive is in the xbox .
I have a phillips in mine and the only cd-r that worked was a cheap unbranded one !!
All cd-rw should work on any drive.

daman371 said:
Actually auto insert does matter because it alters the disc a little bit if you have it enabled.

NEVER in all my years of computer use have i heard that one before !?

ALL AUTO INSERT notification does is stops a disk auto booting if.. it has an AUTORUN.INF script in the base directory that usually tells the computer to execute a command or exe!

it does not boot the disk when AUTO INSERT is off.

it boots the disk when AUTO INSERT is on.

daman371

I can't remember where I heard it from but I think it was said by Sony. It like makes it where the burner adds info on the disc that tells cd players it is a cd-r besides the fact that some of them give it away in the serial number on the bottom. Anyway I a TDK without auto insert on to work in my Xbox made in 2001.

daman371 said:
I can't remember where I heard it from but I think it was said by Sony. It like makes it where the burner adds info on the disc that tells cd players it is a cd-r besides the fact that some of them give it away in the serial number on the bottom. Anyway I a TDK without auto insert on to work in my Xbox made in 2001.

WHATS SONY got to do with MICROSUCKS X-BOX ?! :confused:

you are gettin playstation protection mixed up with X-BOX protection :confused:

heres the lowdown .....

PLAYSTATION disks are protected in 3 ways

1) normal public available burners cannot burn TRACK 1 or the lead in of a playstation disk only professional in the factory duplication units can as they dont burn the disk data they STAMP/PRESS the disks and the information onto the blanks not burn

2) REGIONAL protection this stops import disks being played on other REGION consoles.

3)LYBCRYPT this is protection is as follows

As with any other type of protection, LibCrypt is composed of two separate routines:

the first one performs a control check on the disk to discover if it is a copy, the second, based on the result of the first one, decrypts a block of data and crashes the PSX in the case of an incorrect result. Although based on the same code, the two routines have been altered a few times, to the point that in the last evolution (LC3) they have very little in common with the initial basic code.

This code is all written in pure assembler, and uses the registers of the PSX directly.
hardware of the PSX: there is not any call to the standard system and every precaution has been taken to prevent the program from being traced and therefore understood.
The routine that performs the check on the disk uses the hardware registers of the CD-ROM(1F80180X) directly and it memorizes the temporary data in the scratchpad memory
(1F800000-1F8003FF). It then calculates a 16bit number with a recursive algorithm.

(Magic Word!) this magic word is then used as a parameter for the subroutines, the value is stored in some register of COP0 (coprocessor of system), leaving it in the low part of the BPC register until the program finishes.

Obviously the BPC will have a different value if the CD is not an original!

The second routine, that that checks the presence of the MagicWord in the BPC, is implemented in different ways in the various games that use it: some perform the check immediately , others wait until a certain level , others perform the check cyclically during some CD loading . Or at specific moments .
If the magicword is not found or is different the game freezes or crashes or throws up an error message

the modchip along with correct methods of backup to keep the lybcrypt intact replaces these 3 protections by injecting the information into the consoles processors over and over and over and the backup loads and bypasses the protection checks.

X-BOX on the other hand is a whole different matter as xbox games are digitally signed with a 2048bit encryption key :(

So the whole x-box has to be connected via networking and backed up using ftp software and other utilitys to get a working backup

anyhow back to the matter in hand ... some differences in drives used in the x-boxes as mentioned previous .. will allow cdrs to be used to load AUDIO tracks to the hd and only AUDIO tracks as modding is still required to use game backups :)

I think daman371 that you may have one of the compatible drives in your x-box that will allow you to use a CDR instead of a CDRW for audio disks .. only other way is having a MODDED X-BOX which will allow any medias to be used!

again finally AUTO INSERT NOTIFICATION has no effect on any burns other than stopping a disk/dvd that is autobootable to load or not load when used in a computer NOT a console :)

A Windows features that plays a music CD/DVD (autoplay) or runs a program from a CD-ROM/DVD-ROM (autorun) automatically at startup. The AUTORUN.INF file on the CD-ROM/DVD-ROM indicates which program is run.
:)

I hope this clarifys the matter finally :)

daman371 said:
I know what protections they use. As I said it does matter because it writes to the table of contents. Don't believe me then check this out.

:mad: AIN does NOT write anything to the disk PERIOD ! :mad:

Auto Insert Notification (AIN)
AIN is one of the most common reasons for burn failures. Here's why.

First of all, what is it? AIN is the system where Windows is notified of a new CD-ROM in the drive. If found, an appropriate program is launched. (The type of program would depend on whether it was an audio CD or installation CD, etc.)

Why does it matter? You may be thinking "but I am not putting any CDs in during the burn process". This is true. However, when a CD is recorded, the very first thing burnt is the "Table of Contents". 2 - 20 seconds into the burn, AIN "sees" the new CD and wakes up an appropriate program to try to play it!

So what if it launches a program? Actually, it matters. CD recorders need a constant non-interrupted stream of data to burn on the blank CD. If that stream is interrupted, the burn fails and you end up with an unusable CD. When a program launches it steals precious computing power and the burn is interrupted enough to cause a failure.

So how do I turn it off? Luckily, it is easy to turn it off with MP3 CD Burner. Just go into the Preferences from the File menu. Uncheck "Auto Insert Notification". You will have to restart your computer. When the computer restarts, it may ask to re-enable AIN. Just click No. You can always re-enable it later.

My programs don't automatically pop up when I put in a CD! This is because you have disabled AIN! :) To activate the CD in the drive, go to My Computer and double click the CD drive in question. Otherwise, you can re-enable AIN by going into the Preferences from the File menu. Check "Auto Insert Notification". You will have to restart your computer. (That said, you may have burn failures with it enabled.)

IMPORTANT: If you are using Adaptec's DirectCD for Windows, you must have AIN turned *on*, or some things won't work quite right. The most obvious failure mode is that long filenames aren't shown, but some reports indicate that data on the disc can get trashed as well. This can make life interesting if you're also using a conventional writing application, unless the application is good about turning AIN off before writing.
at what point of this text above does it say/state that AIN BURNS ANYTHING to the disk !?

i suggest you read the text quoted word for word it does not state whatsoever that AIN burns anything to the disk

if you mean this part

IMPORTANT: If you are using Adaptec's DirectCD for Windows, you must have AIN turned *on*, or some things won't work quite right. The most obvious failure mode is that long filenames aren't shown, but some reports indicate that data on the disc can get trashed as well. This can make life interesting if you're also using a conventional writing application, unless the application is good about turning AIN off before writing.
this still does not mean AIN burns anything to the disk!

DIRECT CD is for packet writing of which you sit the disk usually a re-writable cdr in the drive and add bits too it in much the same way as a floppy disk as the cdrw is formatted similar to a floppy and you keep adding individual files/multiple files to the disk usually with adaptects direct cd or with the recent event of xp's own built in cd writing until the disk is full or you decide to erase it and start again and as far as i know ROXIO'S direct cd is the only software that does need AIN enabled for some odd reason although can still be disabled when you are not PACKET writing :)

anyhow back to the post above read this part ....

However, when a CD is recorded, the very first thing burnt is the "Table of Contents". 2 - 20 seconds into the burn, AIN "sees" the new CD and wakes up an appropriate program to try to play it!
SEES not burns the TOC then plays the disk with the appropriate program :)

CONSOLE games do not have/use TOC protection only PC GAMES this is maby where you are confused... turning AIN off stops AIN reading the TOC where the PC GAME TOC protection is held in the first 2-20 seconds of the disk as mentioned above allowing you to make a backup,.... again AIN has no effect other than stopping/allowing the disk spinning up to read the TOC :)

FINALLY if you were to backup a console game YOU CERTAINLY would NOT be using packet writing or DIRECT CD to make the backup as packet software is INCAPABLE of this kind of backup!

trust me when i say these things ..... ive been burning cdrs for at least 10 years and moderator/admin here for the last 4 years!