Cd copying in Win2K

Boy I'm just full of problems today. TGIF! I have a dell optiplex gx260, 2 gig processor, 512 mem, running Windows 2000 svcpk3. Whenever I try I do a cd 2 cd copy, the record buffer usually drops to 0% or the buffer fluctuates, depending on which software I use (nero, burnatonce - thankz Jameo). I have to keep my fingers crossed and hope it completes its write. No problems copying to the harddrive first and then to the writer, just the on the fly stuff. This is a new system, I swapped it out with a Micron we had (pent 450, 128 sdram, windows 2000 svcpk 3) that was having the same problem. I've tried with the cd-rom drive slaved to the harddrive and slaved to the cd-writer with the same results. Right now on the Dell system I have the cd-rom slaved to the cd-writer, gonna switch them around to see if it makes a difference. Could it be something with Windows 2000? On the micron I made sure all of the drivers are were up to date and all that jazz, the writer on the Micron was a plextor 40/12/40a with the latest firmware. The one on the dell is some generic something dvd/cd-writer combo. Any help or suggestions more than welcome... :confused:

murrshot said:
I have the cd-rom slaved to the cd-writer,
This is your problem as on the fly copying often causes headaches connected like this !!!

The answer is simple have one on each ide cable (cdrom one cable and cdr writer on the other cable) on the very end connectors of the ide cables and anything else to be connected to the ide connectors thats left :) on each cable :)

this way the fly copy method should work :)

That's the way I normally connect them. The cd-writer as secondary master (connected at the end of the cable), the cd-rom connect as the primary slave ( at the end of the cable). That setup for me never fails at home. Must just be because I'm at work, that or its time for a drink. ;)

W2k SP3 isn't the problem, i do often copying DataCDs on the fly (CDRW prim. master, CD-ROM sec. master, HDDs RAID);
Did you tried the latest chipset/IDE controller drivers?

Greetings from
Duracell

I do remember updating the drivers on the micron system. I have yet to do it on the dell system 'tho, becaise they are brand new, and this was the first one out of the box. Its weird, cause on the systems I have at home, didn't have to update the drivers like that and all was ok. I've come to the conclusion that every pc is like a suprise box, neva know whatcha gonna get. I should be used to it, but it still irks me. I'll be updating all the drivers on the Dell when I go back to work on Monday.

roadworker said:
Check your DMA settings @ device manager...,I think that your system is running in PIO mode.....:)..

I have yet to check that on the Dell system, but on the older Micron it was running in DMA mode. The Micron I manually loaded, but the Dell I loaded an image (via imagebuilder, not sure if thats the correct name of it) we are mandated (ugh, more mandates) to use now. I still have more items to check on the Dell, but not until Monday.

Well,most of times,only a windows XP system enables DMA automaticly after installing,but my experience with windows 2000 is that you have to do this manually..... :)

nasty mailman said:
No, Windows 2000 SP3 enabled DMA for my two HDs and my DVD-ROM automatically.

SP3?????You're a real daredevil,m8.... Still using SP2 until the hidden (nasty?) secrets of SP4 are revealed by some guinea pigs..:D

roadworker said:
SP3?????You're a real daredevil,m8.... Still using SP2 until the hidden (nasty?) secrets of SP4 are revealed by some guinea pigs..:D

I had to manually enable dma on the micron win2000 system too when I was troubleshooting it. Well, u know microwsoft, the consumers are the guinea pigz....at least in my opinion...

Okay, enabled the dma and everything seems to be stable so far. The buffer still fluctuates (using bao), but it is not dropping to 0%, it hasn't gone below 49% so far. Probably because I still have both of the drives on the same ide cable. I dont have a long enough cable at the moment and the harddrive is positioned to far away from the cd-rom to connect the two. I might live with this setup as long as I don't get any more coasters. Roadworker, I'll have to remember to set the dma first thing while I setup the pc. Hey, it was Friday! Thankz everybody, hopefully I can leave everything as is.....I really luv computers! :D