CD Burning Problems Using XP

jondoh

I bought a new computer in January, 2003, running Windows XP Home and using XP's CD burning feature. The CDR drive, Samsung SW-240 (40x), stopped functioning as a recorder about 8 months later. I didn't change the blank disks I was using, and had made no adjustments, tweaks, etc. I started getting an error message at the very end of the burn saying it "couldn't finish... possibly a bad disk." I had already used about 50 of the disks with no problems. The problem started with only an occasional bad burn and progressed to the total loss of the ability to record. It worked fine as a CD-ROM, however. I closed everything down when I attempted to burn, and reduced the speed to as low as 8x, but to no avail. I'm using 48x disks on a 40x burner; is that possibly a problem?

I gave up on the new burner and installed an older one, a 16x. It recorded just fine... once! It's now deteriorating the same as the first one; it only burns part of the time.

If anybody knows what's causing this problem, I'd sure appreciate hearing from you. CD burners are cheap now, but... :).

Windows XP Home v5.01.2600 SP1 | Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 | eMachines T2042 | 2GHz Intel Celeron Processor | 512MB RAM | 40GB Hard Drive | Intel 3D AGP Graphics | 10/100Mbps Ethernet (2mbps) | CD-RW 40x Write | DVD 16x Play

Do you ever run Disc Cleanup? Also ever run error checking on your c drive (drive with os) and Defrag the drive? Also I would recommend not using XP's CD burning feature, you will find allot of the members find that causes more problems. Try reinstalling ASPI's. You can also try Nero Info Tool and let us know what it says. :cool:

jondoh

Yeah, I do maintenance, disk cleanup, chkdsk, defrag, virus and spyware scans on a regular basis.

I tried Nero 5.5.9.14 on the first drive; same exact problem. I still have it, and can reinstall it if you say so.

Update: I just tried to use a data CD to bring back my Nero software and got this: "Please Insert a Disk into Drive E." Neither the DVD-ROM nor the CDR-RW is able to see a disk.

I'm sorry this is getting out of hand, but I also might have another problem. Last night I uninstalled the Mioplanet Pixel Ruler and was left with a bunch of files to delete. Windows allowed me to delete 2 system dlls (renamed by mioplanet) then turned around and told me Mio had replaced my dlls with inferior ones and I needed to insert my Windows OEM Restore CD and extract the proper files to replace the "inferior" ones. Well, I kept getting the message that I was inserting the wrong CD, to retry.

That's where I stand... unbelievable, and people actually act proud of this junk they're selling us.

Here's what the Nero Info Tool says:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Drive:
General
Type : CD -RW Recorder Firmware Version: TYS 7
Buffer Siz: 2 MB
Read Speed : 40 X
Date: ?
Write Speed : 16 X Serial Number: ?

Supported Read Features
CD -R b DVD -R c Video CD b
CD -RW b DVD -RW c CD Text b
DVD RAM c DVD +R c CD +G b

DVD ROM c DVD +RW c C2 Errors b

Supported Write Features
CD -R b DVD R c DVD +RW c
CD -RW b DVD RW c Mount Rainier c
DVD RAM c DVD +R c Buffer Underrun b
Protection

Modes : Packet, TAO, DAO, SAO, RAW SAO, RAW DAO, RAW
SAO 96, RAW DAO 96
DVD Features
Region Control: n/a Changes Left:user: n/a

Region Code : n/a vendor: n/a
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Configuration:
Primary IDE Channel
Master: SAMSUNG SV4012H
DMA on
Secondary IDE Channel

Master: SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616T
DMA on
Autorun on
Slave: SONY CD-RW CRX1611
DMA on
Autorun on
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Software:
Operating System
Windows XP Home Edition (5.01.2600 Service Pack 1)

DirectX
DirectX 9.0b

Program Version Company
SnagIt Studio 6.2.2 TechSmith Corporation
Hardware:
System
CPU : A0 2000 MHz
Bus Speed : 0MHz

Motherboard : TriGem Imperial
System : eMachines, Imperial

BIOS : Phoenix6 00
Memory : 509 MB

Peripherals
Sound : Avance AC 97 Audio

Video: Inte(R) 82845 G Graphics Controller
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ASPI installation:

System ASPI

File Version Length Date

ASPI is not installed

Windows XP Home v5.01.2600 SP1 | Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 | eMachines T2042 | 2GHz Intel Celeron Processor | 512MB RAM | 40GB Hard Drive | Intel 3D AGP Graphics | 10/100Mbps Ethernet (2mbps) | CD-RW 40x Write | DVD 16x Play

jondoh

When it's fun, it's fun... :D.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are the instructions for Windows ASPI Drivers v4.71.2:

For Windows XP, select Start - Run from the menu, and then the Browse button. Locate the INSTALL.BAT file in the directory the files extracted to and select the OPEN button. In the command box, add a space and either XP32 for Pentium I/II/III/IV processors or XP64 for Itanium processors. The command should look like: c:\adaptec\aspi\install.bat XP32 or c:\adaptec\aspi\install.bat XP64. Then select the OK button to run the XP installer.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is what extracted:

aspi_471a2.exe
Docs
include
apix46.vx_
aspi2k.sy_
aspi32.sy_
aspi64.sys
aspichk.exe
aspiinst.exe
aspixp.sys
install.bat
README.TXT
reg_xp.exe
RELNOTES.DOC
winaspi.dl_
wnaspi2k.dl_
wnaspi32.dl_
wnaspi46.dl_
wnaspi64.dll
wnaspixp.dll
wowpost.ex_
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the error message:

Windows cannot find 'C:\Documents and Settings\Jon Doh\My Documents\My Downloads\Windows ASPI Drivers v4.71.2 - Free\install.bat XP32'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

What am I doing wrong?

jondoh

Well, I finally got back to this problem - sorry it took so long. A couple of questions:
1) Are you saying XP CD burning is inherently bad, or that it is bad only in conjunction with other burning softwares? In other words, if I used it with no other burner software installed, would it still not be a good idea?
2) I'm using Phillips CD-R80 48x discs. The first 50 were perfect as far as I can tell. Does this disc have any known problems?

Here's the ASPI Installation Verification:

Adaptec ASPI
Windows NT

This utility has checked your current ASPI install. Version information and
the operational status of ASPI are listed below:

Component Version Date Size
-----------------------------------------------------------------
WNASPI 32 DLL 4.60 1021 ) 09 /10/99 45056
WINASPI .DLL 4.60 1021 ) 09 /10/99 5600
ASPI 32.SYS 4.60 1021 ) 09 /10/99 25244
WOWPOST EXE 4.60 1021 ) 09 /10/99 4672

ASPI is properly installed and is fully operational
A total 2 host adapters have been detected.

1) it does it does good job as standalone burning software, but doesn't have real features;
it is a pain in compatibility to other burning apps; that's why it should be disabled;

2) try to get "Intenso" media; they are my current favorite; first buy only a few, might be it doesn't solve your problem;

your ASPI looks O.K. now; :)

jondoh

Thanks, Duracell.

Do you have any other thoughts regarding the burning problems? The only reason I ask is I've come across a CD/DVD Rewriter that I'd like to install if it's safe to do so. Otherwise I'll continue to look for some kind of solution. Could the new burner be damaged if I, for instance, have a hardware problem?

The burner (Hitachi/LG-Japan/GMA-4020B) was priced so low I simply couldn't turn it down. All I want it for are a once-a-month DVD image of my C: Drive (on 1 disc) and bi-weekly incremental data backups of a partition containing nothing but My Documents loaded up with all the data I produce as well as pertinent data produced by Systems or commercial applications. I have tons of questions about all of this; look for a new post today or tomorrow :).

jondoh said:
Do you have any other thoughts regarding the burning problems?
you can try BAO - burnatonce (http://www.burnatonce.com), if the burning process fails post the log file here, please;

What chipset does your motherboard have? Did you install the proper chipsset drivers?

What IDE controller drivers do you use, M$ standard drivers, VIA's filter drivers, nVidia's nForce or Intel's IAA? (M$ standard and VIA is O.K., beware of nForce and IAA)

also i would test your current CDRW drives in a friends PC, to see if it's really a hardware failure;

Could the new burner be damaged if I, for instance, have a hardware problem?
unlikely

One thing that I do wonder about, if burners seem to degrade .... do you smoke?

Not sure if it would act that quickly (less than a year), but it would hasten deterioration of optical drives.

LTR12101B said:
One thing that I do wonder about, if burners seem to degrade .... do you smoke?

Not sure if it would act that quickly (less than a year), but it would hasten deterioration of optical drives.
I agree smoking kills and not just people. :eek: I've seen the life of cd drives shorten by people who smoke. I don't know about a year but I have seen it.