cd burner....

hey whats the fastest speed out there they got for cd burners??..like the write speed, rewrite speed, and read speed....also what about dvd burners....
i wanna get the fastest dvd and cd burners out there....good brand names....

FASTEST does NOT ALWAYS mean the MOST RELIABLE as media and other factors can play a big part in this for them to burn at MAX speeds DVD at the minute is 16X MAX and cdr 52/54 but like i said depends on the media if its successful or not :)

anyhow....

heres some info i found on the net regards burn speed times

for CDR....

1x = 150,000 bytes per second
16x = about 2,400,000 bytes per second
700 MB / 2,400,000 byte per second = 291.66 seconds or 4.86 minutes per 700 MB. Factors such as computer speed and usage by other programs, hard drive speed, network availability, etc., will affect the actual speed
with DVDR burner

1x = 1,385,000 bytes per second
4x = 5,540,000 bytes per second
700 MB / 5,540,000 bytes per second = 126.35 seconds or about 2 minutes per 700 MB. Factors such as computer speed and usage by other programs, hard drive speed, network availability, etc., will affect the actual speed.
:)

Fastest CD Write mode - 52x Full CAV (starts at just under 24x and ramps up throughout) - at 52x, the last bit can be rather iffy, so a speed of 40x or 32x is normally optimum if you can't trust the media at full speed.

Fastest CD rewrite mode - 32x on "Ultra" media, often by zone-CLV (16x/24x/32x steps - a few drives do P-CAV mode on CD-RW).

Fastest DVD mode - 16x CAV on DVD+R ... DVD-R is catching up, drives that us Zone-CLV (eg. Pioneer DVR-108/A08) are slower, but may give better results as tuning media strategies is easier under Zone-CLV.

The terms:
CAV - rotates at constant RPM (angular velocity), while transfer rate ramps up throughout.
CLV - maintains a constant linear velocity and transfer rate, therefore the RPM is lowered to compensate for the increasing circumference.
Zone-CLV - Burns in steps of CLV, stopping to bring RPM up to the initial level and continue at the next higher transfer rate (this requires the same kind of linking that is used for underrun recovery).
P-CAV - Starts using CAV, at constant (maximum) RPM, then makes a stepless changeover to CLV, continuing at constant transfer rate.

An interesting result on some DVD writers, is "8x near CLV" - actually 8x P-CAV, but the initial ramp-up from 7-8x is so sort, that the burn time is only a fraction over half the 4x burn time, and the advantage of 16x is no more than 30%, but the price of media is higher and the quality problems are worse.

i was hoping for a simple answer like....

cd: 52x32x52
dvd: 16x?x?

or whatever its fastest burning, rewriting, and reading speed is....
the 1st # is for the burning speed right??..the 2nd # is for the rewrite speed right??..and the 3rd # is for the reading speed??..

Tommie said:
i was hoping for a simple answer like....

cd: 52x32x52
dvd: 16x?x?

or whatever its fastest burning, rewriting, and reading speed is....
the 1st # is for the burning speed right??..the 2nd # is for the rewrite speed right??..and the 3rd # is for the reading speed??..
Yes: that's about right - 52x32x52 (though some may push it to 54) for CD-R/RW/ROM. Many drives aslo read CD-RW at reduced speed.

For DVD, it's more complicated, as there are 7 possible write medias, and also several read types (written DVD media is often read at lower speed)

16x on DVD+R (the start of the "16x" writers)
16x on DVD-R (not as common, -R speeds usually lag - the NEC 3500A is 16x both)
8x on DVD+RW (WAIT! - it's coming soon! - current drives are stuck with 4x)
4x on DVD-RW (don't expect 8x for a while, if at all)
4x on DVD+R DL (previous generation was 2.4x)

But if you want the fastest CD-R performance, go for a separate CD-RW drive, most DVD writers lag behind in this area, at least by a step or two.
I like the Sony CRX320/Liteon 5232K combo in this role - it's a good, fast CD-RW drive (though Sony cuts to 40x unless you switch to 52 by holding eject until it blinks) and also gives you a second chance to read DVD, with a drive that can also report PI/PIF errors under popular scanning programs - this drive and an NEC 3500A is a very strong combination, as they tend to cover each other's weaknesses.