Case & CPU Fan Stop Working ?

Hiya :)

Something strange is happening with my PC. It will run fine, running various programs & games etc...but as soon as I use my DVD-Rom or my Pioneer DVD- RW, both the case and cpu fans stop working! and consequently the CPU overheats and shuts down.
The only thing I've done recently is hoover it out inside, being extremely careful.

I'm running XP
Athlon xp 2800
FSB 333
512mb PC2700
AGPX8 256MB VGA

Thanx
M

Master

Gold Member
Looks like a short-circuit at the 12VDC Line.
Is one of your drives defective ?

Unplug one drive and try again.
If the problem is still there then unplug the second drive an connect the first one again.

just an idea

Emmaxxx said:
The only thing I've done recently is hoover it out inside, being extremely careful.

I'm running XP
Athlon xp 2800
FSB 333
512mb PC2700
AGPX8 256MB VGA

Thanx
M

DONT USE A HOOVER! ... maby a little late now ... hoovers build up static charge and can discharge on the board and short stuff out :(

use compressed air in a can or manually blow the air out just hoover up the mess off the work surface or floor later :)

as per masters suggestion use fault finding tests .....try different connectors to the dvd drives or disconnect either and try the other see if it still works this way you can fault find between the two and the wiring :)

check all connectors to the board and fans see if they are loose at all :)

:)

Thanx for you help guys. It took a while to sort this one out...I swapped cables around as you suggested and the PC ran stable while idle.
Next I tried playing an audio CD in both drives....that worked OK.
Then I tried burning an image (already on the HDD) and that too worked!
So, I thought that was that and swapping the cables did the trick.

However, when I continued to backup my CD's from where I left off, the same happened again!....I quickly had to shut down the PC as the temp went sky high and there was a strong burning smell! Thinking that i had killed my processor, I decided to call the manufacturer and have it returned. Lucky that I took out the extended warranty I thought!

Pondering over this for a day or so, I wondered if it was one of the CD's that I was trying to back up? Surely Not?
Connecting my PC back up in hope that it would still be alive, it booted successfully! It ran fine while left idle, I then ran a few apps and printed off a some xmas pics....all was well!

So, I put my theory to the test and tried what may have been the offending CD. The CD in question is an AOpen Utility disc that I was backing up and considering my machine is NOT AOpen, there was some sort of disagreement (to say the least)....and lo and behold, the fans stopped again!

Doh! How stupid did I feel, I was blushing for a fair while I can say!

I just hope I haven't short lived my processor from all this.

Thanx again! It's nice to know there's someone here to help :) blush

Emmaxxx said:
:)

So, I put my theory to the test and tried what may have been the offending CD. The CD in question is an AOpen Utility disc that I was backing up and considering my machine is NOT AOpen, there was some sort of disagreement (to say the least)....and lo and behold, the fans stopped again!

Doh! How stupid did I feel, I was blushing for a fair while I can say!

I just hope I haven't short lived my processor from all this.

Thanx again! It's nice to know there's someone here to help :) blush

never heard that one before !?

a disk is just a disk regardless of content !?

try backing up a different disk see if the same fault occours !?

i can backup just about any disk in my system regardless of content and no doubt others can do too !?

check the disk that its not scratched or damaged in anyway that it would make the drive read the disk over and over and work the drive into over heating :(

can you image or backup other disks in the drive !? maby its having trouble reading disks !?

do you have another burner/drive to test this theory !?

disconnect the problematic one and see if the problem goes away just using the other drive :)

try imaging the disk in another drive using alcohol 120 or someother image making software and see if it cuts out or over heats :)

also check that maby the processor fan has had its day !?

do the blades turn freely when in use !?

maby you knocked dust or dirt into the fan on the processor perhaps use canned air on the processor fan and see if this will clear any dirt or dust outta the blades so it turns freely :)

Cannot see how a particular CD (unless it actually runs a control utility from autorun) could influence the fans.

Are the motherboard connected fans (which would be on seperate connectons) or "drive connector" fans.

If they are drive connectorm you may have put them on une that is controlled by the PSU thermal sensor - some PSU's have this, but controlling additional fans this way is a feature of some really posh units, and intended for additional case fans, NOT for the CPU.

Losing two fans at once suggests that a shared power feed may be the problem - I'd doubt short circuits, as anything bad enough to halt a fan should drop the entire system immediately.

Also, motherboard fan powerpoints may be open to control, but drive connectors based fans cannot possibly be software controlled.

There have been BIOS bugs with motherboard fan points, where a status of "standby, fans off", resulted in "wakeup, fans off", but that was a rare example.

Happy New Year guys :)

Tried all the obvious as you suggested Viper_1069, I thought it was very odd.
Within seconds of putting in this CD, in either drive, both fans would stop.
There are no scratches and would back up successfully as an image with Alcohol, albeit the fans had stopped during the process.
I have since been able to burn this image to CD but havent tried reloading the back up CD, nor tried the offending CD on my other PC....when I do I'll report back.

As for the motherboard (Asus A7NX8_VM) fan connectors, these are separate and I do not see any reference to them in my bios settings.

My Pc is running normally as it did before and I am continuing backing up stuff onto CD and DVD with no problems. The CPU is running at about 45-50 celcius when burning.

Thanx for your support

MXXX

Last edited:
Emmaxxx said:
Within seconds of putting in this CD, in either drive, both fans would stop.
seems like the CD does Auto Run a contained, problematic software; hold down the shift key when closing the CD tray and while the next 30 sec;

Holding down the shift key as suggested stops the CD from auto loading and doesn't present a problem, but when the CD tray is reopened and closed again, yet again the fans stopped working.

I tried the offending CD on my other machine and that was fine......very strange why it affects this one PC.

At least the mystery was solved and it meant the PC didn't have to be returned after all.

Thanx again.

Emmaxxx said:
very strange why it affects this one PC.
the affected PC's BIOS might be "half-compatible" with the auto started tool;
the other one is totally incompatible, which means it doesnt affect anything;