can't play divx (90% of the time)

Nearly everytime I play a divx (.avi) file the player crashes.
I get an ddhelp "illegal operation" error and the player freezes.
This happens with zoom/windvd/wmp7 and every other player u can think of!
If I try to open virtual dub after the error occurs (before restarting) it crashes on opening.
It is not down to dodgy .avi files as I can check them first with virtual dub.
I can encode them to vcd/svcd no trouble but it would be nice to preview these files in the divx format.
I have tried tsunami and sld codec packs with no change.
Is ddhelp a direct draw error message?
Is this the key?
I have changed my graphic card since the error first occured but its there with the new one as well.
dxdiag reports no probs.
Running win 98.:)

I dont know if this helps, a while back i had something similar with win2k, when playing avi, it would crash or i get a bsod. i cant recall what exactly was the cause, but i uninstalled grapic & sound card, plus their drivers and then reinstalled it, directx 8 too.

Easy solution, only play the AVI's on the 10% of times it doesnt crash ! :D

I would re-install Win98 (Second Edition I assume) and via the DOS prompt (not DOS box), sounds like a screwed system.

u think it could be a fault with direct x chickenman ?!?!

i had uninstall direct x somewhere maby he could use that uninstall direct x and then reinstall direct x 8.1 from scratch !?

will try dig it out and post it here

DIRECT X ERADICATOR direct x removal

use this dave makin sure u have downloaded direct x 8.1 before you start so u have direct x avail to reinstall !!!

attached direct x eradicator for removal of DIRECT X all versions from version 2.0 to current 8.1(9 is out but its not that stable yet !!)

remove direct x and reinstall whichever you need ! :)

see if this works dave !?

Attachments

Yep could be DirectX. but I would re-insatl Windows first then slowly re-install others like DirectX 8.1 etc. that a Windows re-install would wipe out.

Thanx for the replies gys!
I tried the directx thing with no success.
I am not using win98se just win 98.
I havent got the time at the moment for a reinstall, too much work to do.
I need to format again soon anyhow.
I can preview the files in virtual dub (video only) with no probs, as long as I didnt crash earlier.
Maybe its a sound issue.
Dont watch movies on the pc anyhow so its not the end of the world.

the error seems to be something to do with winmm.dll.
Anybody know what that does/is?
Just out of interest.

it seems to be one major file for microsofts sound processing, in- and output. because of its exported functions:
most of them start with aux, midi, joy, wave(-In/-Out), mmio, mci.
and there are few for driverhandling (DrvOpenA, ...)
and it's called multimedia API
the interface between your sound card (or it's driver) and the applications that use it.
hope it helps finding a solution
FortiTude

do you know how to use system file checker "SFC" from the command line dave to replace DLL's ? if not shout me up on icq or irc and i'll attempt to talk you thro it bud ! :)
or just download it from the net and replace it and see if that works ! ;)

Cracked it!!

After my pc gave up the ghost!!
I found out it was the onboard sound that was causing the problem.
The Via audio device was selected in control panel and it should have been the game compatible device.
I altered them and shazam!!:eek: ,back in buisness.
Thanx for the help guys:D