cant delete a avi file! *plz help*

hi guys

i have a avi movie file in one of my folders. the movie file does not play when try to open it with realplayer. it says cannot open due to error.

However when i try to delete the file, it says file is being used by another program or person and doeasnt delete. i have no program open what so ever and it keeps giving me that message! im getting kindda sick of this now. anybody know why it says that and how can i delete the file?

thanks n advance

open a dos box in that folder a type dir if you're in w98 or dir /x if you're in w2k/xp. look at the short name and use it with the dos's delete command

allways works for me :)

Try scanning your files with Norton Disk Doctor to correct possible errors, then try to delete those file.

I also have this problem frequently. What I do is boot in ME, I'm on dualboot, delete those files and go back. You can shutdown and restart and you will not be able to delete those files in XP. I have searched for a why, but nothing. If you don't have dualboot, I think the best way is the one mentioned by Bertieg, Altought I haven't tried it out (it's faster going into ME then booting in safe mode).

Cheers,

El_Matador

thanks guys for reply

i have xp , tried safe mode - didnt work
tried norton antivirus scanning - didnt work
tryed moving it to a folder - didnt work

any other suggestions?

It's happened to me a few times.

I right clicked on file and dragged it to desktop. I then told it to move it (which worked). I then deleted it from the desktop. It makes no sense, but it works for me.

I use XP, and did above in a normal session, in fact, immediately after the original refusal to delete because it was being using by another (not true) program

HUSK24 if the partition of the file is fat32 (not ntfs). Try with a bootable disk to boot to dos and the delete the file from there!

Or try to rename the file first (due to some unrecognized characters) & then delete it!

I hope this to work for you my friend!

:p

Hi all,

Poko, it doesn't matter what kind of characters you use. An example of a file I couldn't Delete: divxbrasnet-mon.rar. I can't rename, move or what ever, only process. Deleted it from within ME. This is bothering me since I installed XP and I haven't been able to find out what cause this. I think it's a bug of XP of the fast find, but still not sure.

Husk, sad to hear that. Try Robjohn method, it doesn't work for me altought.

Cheers,

El_Matador

ive tried all of the above but havent worked. the title of the file is made from normal words without any odd characters

hey its worked this time - i tried gambits suggestion - although itdidnt work first time. i moved all my other files to another folder where thr avi file was and then i opened the dos command and deleted the whole folder, which only contained the avi file and it deleted

thanks everyone for you help

most appreciated

El_Matador - maybe u should try the above too