Can't Boot From SCSI CD Drive

Can't Boot From SCSI CD Drive (Promise RAID & Advansys SCSI)

Any help or information will be appreciated :)

I have here a ASUS P4PE Motherboard (with GBIT Lan version) and it has on board RAID (Promise PPC 20376 chipset)

Have been trying to run it with a Advansys / Iomega Jazz Jet PCI Ultra Adaptor - which has conected to it a SCSI CD and a SCSI CD-R/RW (There is no IDE CD Drive)

The problem that i have here is trying to get the comp to boot from a bootable CD in the SCSI CD or CDr/RW drive.

On boot the normal scsi information pops up and it detects a bootable CD in the drives and asks whether to boot from the CD or normal (which means HDD).

When Boot from CD is selected - immediately - an error says cant boot from the CD appears - even though the CD is bootable (win2k os setup disk and others).

Have already tried swapping the scsi card to different PCI slots - in case its IRQ conflicts with the RAID device because previously the SCSI was using a PCI slot that shared IRQ with the RAID, but same problem.

Previously - the same SCSI card was used with an older Intel Pentium 200 Mobo, there wasnt a problem there. So I have been wondering whether there might be some conflict between the RAID and SCSI card. Would anyone know if there are such conflicts ?

- - -
Forgot to add that no devices are plugged into RAID controller (yet) and RAID has been turned off in the bios settings. Having the same problem still.
- - -

Thank for reading. :)

I think you have to boot with the W2K boot disks and then install your OS after you've have specified the SCSI driver you want to add for your scsi card (Advansys / Iomega Jazz Jet PCI Ultra Adaptor) to be able to setup properly.

PS: if you can disable the bios for each scsi id used (cd drive and hd ) it can be either the solution, i've had this problem after changing mobo, and disabling the bios for my hd has resolved the problem for me.

Sergio

Last edited:
Check in the bios of the scsi card for an option "make removable media bootable" or something like this, I don´t know exactly the option for the card you´re using but in the Adaptec cards this option must be enabled and the mobo bios should be set to boot from floppy because when the scsi bios detects a bootable cd it swaps the floppy for the scsi cd making the scsi cd unit A: and the floppy unit B:

Thanx for the suggestions guys. :)

Yes the option "allow boot from CD" (on the advansys card) is already on. - cheers weboneando

The SCSI card was designed/supplied for the JAZZ drive - it has limited options in the bios - I dont have control over the scsi bios for any of the device id's :( - cheers sergio

johnkamp - thanx - i'll give it a try.

- - -
Update - johnkamp - disconecting the cd writer didnt help :(
- - -

maybe its a spinn-up broblem from the CDrom

it spinns gives the info that there is a botable cd present the spins down

Scsi card doesnt give the CDrom time to spinn up so it gives an error that it cant boot from it

tweak the latency time on it in Scsi bios