Can Roxio's Easy CD & DVD Creator v6 & Nero 5.5.10.35 coexist

Anyone out there have Roxio's Easy CD & DVD Creator v6 and Nero 5.5.10.35 coexisting happliy under Win2k Pro?

I don't have a specific issue but am about to install Roxio to get around the limitation of Nero's UDF implementation limitation on long filenames.

Toyo

It shouldn't be a problem.Just hope it solves your long filenames problem.
The Roxio software has a stigma attached to it these days.Too many problems of instability from it's early "Adaptec" days. ;)

only two programs..that will not co-exist..is Nero's InCD and Roxio's (dragndrop) or better known as DirectCD...which is crap on 6.0...install WinOnCD/DVD 6 if you can get it..then update to 6.02...that update allows 99 MP3's on an album to burn to DVD...and uses DirectCD 5.34.21 SP6....I had to install the unidrv 1.18.1 in order to use my Plextor 504A with DirectCD...nice having a floppy 4.3gigs... :D

jroc is so right here. In general, packet writing software (like DirectCD and InCD) cause a LOT of incompatibilities with other CDR software. I generally try to dissuade people from installing them.

Nero and EZCD can coexist, as long as you don't use DirectCD. However it's highly questionable if EZCD/DVD Cremator 6 can coexist with CD/DVD burning in general...

Personally I wouldn't put either of those on my machine. There are much better programs (some free) out there as a quick search on this forum will show.
BAO is a good example.

Do any of these "other" packages have a full implementation of UDF?

My issue is archiving data with long filenames.

Nero's implementation of UDF is limited to Joliet compatability (see Q/A below).

Apparently Roxio have implemented the true UDF.

Toyo

Found this at http://www.nero.com/en/content/c1046392326234.html#15

Q. Why can I not achieve a file name longer than 64 characters?
Your software mentions support for 255 characters.

A. You are limited to the Joliet file format which only supports up to 64 characters for file names. We have an option in Nero to Relax the ISO 9660 restrictions , but this is only referring to the Full Path of the files location. For example: C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero Burning Rom\Nero.exe which as a file is only 7 characters long, but for the full path it used 50 characters.
The Joliet File system allows filenames with up to 64 Unicode characters only. The ISO Level 1 file system allows filenames in 8+3 format and the Level 2 with up to 31 ISO characters. Currently there is no way to store filenames with more than 64 characters on an ISO or Joliet CD. Longer filenames are possible with UDF file system (but such long filenames are not supported by the Nero UDF implementation, but it might work for InCD) and with the so called "Rockridge Extensions" for the ISO file system. These Rockridge Extensions are popular in the Unix world, but are not supported by Windows and Nero. Conclusion: Nero cannot write longer filenames than 64 characters. The only solution, that I see would be to use either a Linux PC, use the GNU freeware program "mkisofs", create a CD image with it and burn this image with Nero using the "File"->"Burn Image" menu command and the default options and to burn on an empty CD. But the long Rockridge filenames will be readable only on Unix/Linux systems and NOT on Windows PCs. Another possibility would be to use some kind of packet writing software like InCD to create the CD. But such a CD can be read only, if the InCD driver is installed.

Got this info from Roxio presales -

Our software support 30 character filenames for Iso 9660(mode 2), 64 characters for Joliet, and 127 for UDF. Please note that the file name length includes a folder name if it is included.

Ex: /games/test1.gif is 11 characters long, whereas /test1.gif is 5 characters long.

Now I'm not sure how they got 11 chars as that seems to exclude the parent directory and the extension, as does the 5 chars.

As I see it it basically means that Roxi doesn't implement the full UDF either but if you have a short folder depth (less than 63 characters) and longer file names (greater than 64 characters but less than "127 chars minus the folder depth") then Roxi's implementation of UDF (127 chars total) is better than Nero's implementation (255 chars in folder depth + 64 characters in filename).

In my situation, Roxio's implementation should work for this instance.

The longest filename I've burnt to a DVD with Roxio Easy Cd Creator 5.3.4.21 is - if I've counted correctly - 173 characters including a filename of 76 characters.

This is the name:

(D:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\systemprofile\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Sonic MyDVD - Capture Video and Audio - Create interactive DVD and VCD Titles.)

It's a shorcut and it opens Sonic MyDVD when I click it. I just dragged my C: dive to a data DVD compilation and burned it. Packet writing is disabled in both Roxio and XP. Programs, videos and mp3s run from the DVD as well.

I haven't had occasion to try burning any longer names so far.

I use ROXIO 6 & NERO 6 along with Pinncale Instan cd & Alcohol on WinXP Pro and they all work on the same machine fine.

Installed Nero v6.0.0.0 over the weekend and seems to have solved my problem. Seems they have changed their UDF implementation.

Still barfs on a file with a 52 character folder depth and 126 character filename but my files (47 character folder depth and 90 character filename) burn ok.

Haven't found out yet the "official" statement on what changes have been made to the UDF implementation.

ps2king

Does any1 know if I can make a Direct copy of a DVD backup using Roxio. Just by puting the orignal in the top driver (D drive) and the empty DVD-R in the bottom driver (E drive)?

Can I make a direct copy using that method that will work on my Ps2?