burning data with long paths/filesnames

I'm trying to archive data to DVD-R with Nero.

Nero comes back complaining that it can't create unique Joliet names for a few dozen files.

I have selected the relax ISO restrictions ("Allow pathdepth of more than 8 directories" and "Allow more than 255 characters in path") but neither seem to make a difference.

Haven't tried deselecting Joliet yet. What are the implications? Will it help?

I don't want to have to go through and rename the offending files as they are also reference by hyperlinks elsewhere etc.

What am I missing?

Toyo

With Joliet - put related files in a .zip file, or open web pages in browser and resave with a shorter name, or resave as Web Archive-single file(*.mht) with a shorter name [this is easier to rename later without opening].

I know Roxio Easy CD Creator using UDF file system on a data DVD will save longer file names. It has only 3 options for file system, ISO9660, Joliet, or UDF (UDF is default for DVD). I don't know if it uses Joliet names as well - I get the warning: 'The directory "...." exceeds the maximum depth of directories (8). This may cause problems reading the Disc in some operating systems...', but I can read the DVD in XP with no problems. If I try to use the same files in a CD compilation (Joliet default) I get the same warning, and it forces me to change the names that exceed 64 characters.

Haven't used Nero with DVD yet, so I can't tell you what needs to be selected to get UDF file system.

Last edited:
Tried creating as a UDF/ISO and as a UDF. Both failed.

Even the pure UDF still tries to creat Joliet names. Not sure why.

Have to investigate further to see if the options for UDF 1.05 or 2 (as opposed to the default 1.2) will help.

Trying to avoid zipping the files as there are some 20,000+ of them and the ones with the long names are scattered thorughout the file system.

Is there some reason why there isn't a CD/DVD file system format that allows the same naming conventions as NTFS?

Toyo

toyospares said:
Is there some reason why there isn't a CD/DVD file system format that allows the same naming conventions as NTFS?

Toyo
Must not be since Roxio UDF allows it.

Checked my DVDs with Nero Info Tool (you might want to use it to find out what file systems Nero actually burned). Data discs burned with Roxio are UDF, video burned with Sonic MyDVD and commercially pressed discs are ISO9660/UDF. All are mode 1 according to Roxio disc info. Don't have a clue as to which version UDF file system Roxio is using.

Found this at http://www.nero.com/en/content/c1046392326234.html#15

Seems it's a limit on the Nero UDF implementation.

Not sure if it's fixed in Nero v6 that has just been released.

Looks like I'll have to try Roxio.

Q. Why can I not achieve a file name longer than 64 characters?
Your software mentions support for 255 characters.

A. You are limited to the Joliet file format which only supports up to 64 characters for file names. We have an option in Nero to Relax the ISO 9660 restrictions , but this is only referring to the Full Path of the files location. For example: C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero Burning Rom\Nero.exe which as a file is only 7 characters long, but for the full path it used 50 characters.
The Joliet File system allows filenames with up to 64 Unicode characters only. The ISO Level 1 file system allows filenames in 8+3 format and the Level 2 with up to 31 ISO characters. Currently there is no way to store filenames with more than 64 characters on an ISO or Joliet CD. Longer filenames are possible with UDF file system (but such long filenames are not supported by the Nero UDF implementation, but it might work for InCD) and with the so called "Rockridge Extensions" for the ISO file system. These Rockridge Extensions are popular in the Unix world, but are not supported by Windows and Nero. Conclusion: Nero cannot write longer filenames than 64 characters. The only solution, that I see would be to use either a Linux PC, use the GNU freeware program "mkisofs", create a CD image with it and burn this image with Nero using the "File"->"Burn Image" menu command and the default options and to burn on an empty CD. But the long Rockridge filenames will be readable only on Unix/Linux systems and NOT on Windows PCs. Another possibility would be to use some kind of packet writing software like InCD to create the CD. But such a CD can be read only, if the InCD driver is installed.

Installed Nero v6.0.0.0 over the weekend and seems to have solved my problem. Seems they have changed their UDF implementation.

Still barfs on a file with a 52 character folder depth and 126 character filename but my files (47 character folder depth and 90 character filename) burn ok.

Haven't found out yet the "official" statement on what changes have been made to the UDF implementation.