Burnatonce questions.

Mr. Muddle

Ok, so I've tried to add some audio files from my hard drive into the Burnatonce window to create an audio CD playable in any ordinary audio player.

However, for some of the files, I get a message telling me that the 'header' could not be read. The time in the status bar at the bottom does not increase when one of these files are added.

Question 1 - How do I get the header to be read?

I have been told that in order to be able to listen to the CD on an ordinary audio player, the mp3s (for example) need to be converted into WAVs. I assume that Burnatonce does this automatically when burning a CD from the 'Mastering an audio CD' window. However,

Question 2 - I also have been told that WAVs are about 10 times the size of mp3s, so how do I know how many will fit on my CD since the status bar at the bottom only shows the time for the actual mp3s I add???? Do I multiply that time by 10?

Question 3 - It would be very helpful if anyone could guide me in which options I need to/should choose in the option boxes for creating an audio CD to be read in any audio player.

Thanks.

You may find the dedicated Audio burning program, Burrrn, easier to work with.
http://www.apehaus.com/burrrn/

I'm looking at an old version of Burnatonce (I really ought to update it), and that shows time for both MP3 and WAV.

The files it can't read the header for, do they play correctly?

LTR12101B said:
I'm looking at an old version of Burnatonce (I really ought to update it), and that shows time for both MP3 and WAV.
There shouldn't be any problem with WAV's- with any BAO version.
Older versions used the MP3 duration reported by Windows, which is known to be TOTALLY WRONG with VBR encoded MP3's. The new calculation method does require a healthy header, but is very accurate.

Mr. Muddle

Thanks.

I don't think it's a problem with bad headers. The files are all in a foreign language. Maybe it's because of this??

Can I change the headers to English using an ID3 tag editor or is that something totally different from headers?

'BAO should show the exact audiotrack duration with extreme accuracy, once the MP3 headers are correct.'

Yes but the mp3 files whose headers BAO had no problem reading still displayed the time for mp3s only and not wavs.

Which version of BAO is it that you have which shows WAV time also?

All files play perfectly fine.

Another question I have is that someone mentioned that in order to create a CD that plays in any old player, writing has to be set at 16kb/s and 44.1 KHz or something like that! Does BAO take care of this automatically? SOme of my mp3 files are over 100 KB/s!

Thanks.

Foobar 2000 can fix bad headers too...
Bao will automatically take care of cd properties like 16b.......
Every bao version as said above by Scarecrow will properly displays the lenght..wave,mp3s...... :)

Excluding patented techiques like "superbitmapping", every compliant audio CD uses 16-bit datastreams and 44.1K samplerate, so you shouldn't worry about that... Everything that deviates from that simply is NOT an Audio CD.
BAO displays WAV durations just fine, see...

Attachments

Mr. Muddle

Thanks Zver,

But the files which BAO have no problems reading headers for still only show the time for the mp3s only and not anything about the time for wavs.

If it can read the headers for these mp3s fine and can also display the times for each file, then why can't it display the time for wavs?

Ok, just as a test, I added a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT file to the window which is in full English and BAO still only shows the time for the mp3 and not wav!!

What's the problem here? It seems to me like there's a problem with BAO and not my files. If the problem was with my files, the wav time would show for some files and not for others, but the wav time isn't showing for ANY of them.

I don't think I need a simpler program; I just need one that works properly! Sure I am totally new to this, but if the stupid program isn't showing the time for wavs, then it's clearly something wrong with it.

Thanks.

If your .wav files do not display the time, then they are not compliant 16-bit 44.1KHz ones!
Did you rip them yourself, or downloaded them from "somewhere"?

Mr. Muddle

Thanks Scarecrow.

I don't know if you've understood my problem. The problem is that when I add an MP3 file to the window, it shows the same results as in the picture you have included, however, the time for wav for the same file isn't anywhere to be found.

EXAMPLE-

I add 2 mp3 files to the window, 'La catedral' and 'Medley a) madrigal'.

'La catedral' is 7:14:50 mins long and 'Medley a) madrigal' is 3:41:00 mins long. At the bottom, the total time for mp3-1 plus mp3-2 equals 11 mins 0 seconds.

I have only 11 mins left on a current CDR to which I wish to burn these files to.

HOWEVER, I have been told that WAVs are about 10 times bigger, so even though the status bar shows a total 11 minutes, I'll be needing 11 x 10 = 110 minutes on the CD for the wavs. Am I mistaken about this?

If not, do I need to multiply everything by 10 to see how much I can fit on a CD?

Thanks.

Mr. Muddle said:
HOWEVER, I have been told that WAVs are about 10 times bigger, so even though the status bar shows a total 11 minutes, I'll be needing 11 x 10 = 110 minutes on the CD for the wavs. Am I mistaken about this?

If not, do I need to multiply everything by 10 to see how much I can fit on a CD?

If you add files to burn an audiocd,the time displayed in the status bar is the REAL duration time of that song.Your mp3's are automaticly transformed to wav.
A 700MB cd can have 80 minutes of music on it.
You don't need to multiply anything,just add music files to your audiocd project and keep an eye on the status bar....as long as the total duration time not exceeds 80 minutes,your fine......forget about mp3 size,since that is only important if you burn them as a data cd for storage purposes or to play them in an mp3 player.

Mr. Muddle

OHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Well, that explanation was just perfect! Now I get it.

Looks like I was the stupid one after all and not BAO so much.

Thanks Roadworker!

Now all I need to do is be able to change the headers into English and away I go!

How do I edit the headers of the mp3 files?

Thanks.

Mr. Muddle

Hi Zver,

Each time I add an mp3 file into the BAO window, it displays the length of the file, e.g 2 minutes, and the total length displayed at the bottom status bar increases by 2 minutes also.

However, for some mp3 files, BAO gives me an error message saying that it could not read the header of the file. Not only this, but the length of these files indicate zero, and the total length on the status bar does not increase at all when one of these files are added.

My guess is that the headers cannot be read by BAO because they are in a foreign language not listed in the BAO langauges list, and in order for them to be read by BAO, maybe I need to re-write them into English.

Is this so, or am I totally off the track?

I think that bao being an imo advanced audio app shouldnt have a problem reading a tag on another languge??I dont know if i get you right what you meant..Like for example i burned some mp3s with bao and they were ""cirilica""letters without problems.... :) ..
So i dont know if you(we)are on right track????
I got a lots of vbr mp3s(encoded with alt-presets) and when i burn them in Nero6 or burrn it works ok in xp,still you can have problems with vbr if you use win95-98..
Anyway,second Scarecrow link is a good one-you could try that...I use a foobar like tagger too so i really dont have a knowledge for other things..I would still recomend to try burrrn too..Its a advanced app for audio,it will write tags too and its a exe--no installation so you can even drop it in a bao folder(all files)...Like for example My folder is called Foobar and everything is inside...Foobar,eac,burrrn,tag,speek and all exes(varius enc and dec.).Download burrrn and try to burn a audio-cd on a rw disk,and telle us whats going on??just for a test`s sake....
Also,try few other vbr files and see if it the problem still exist or its gone for those tracks?

Last edited:
Mr. Muddle said:
However, for some mp3 files, BAO gives me an error message saying that it could not read the header of the file. Not only this, but the length of these files indicate zero, and the total length on the status bar does not increase at all when one of these files are added.
Are these real mp3 files,or maybe .wma ?
If they have the .mp3 extension,check them with EncSpot to find out if they're ok.

My screenhot above is with prefectly compliant .wav files- as you can see, time is displayed perfectly well.
Currently BAO does NOT support .wma, as well as any other PATENTED audio format (it does support mpeg4 via faad, which is semi-patented, but unofficially...), and that policy is not to be expected to change in the future.

Mr. Muddle

I've just downloaded ID3 TagIt, so I'll see if I can do something with that before I try the other suggestions here.

Yes, I think they are real MP3s; right-clicking, properties, shows the MS-DOS name as 01.MP3, etc and the 'Type' states 'MP3 format sound'.

I'll see how it goes with Tag-IT, though Tag-IT seems to be a VERY advanced bit of software! Don't know where to look!

Scarecrow, I get it now; I didn't understand it before.

Mr. Muddle

scarecrow said:
For fixing bad mpeg headers you can use any decent tagger
I've managed to change the tag info for an mp3 but I couldn't find anything in the program that suggested it can 'fix bad mpeg headers'. Can it? If so, how?

In any case, editing the tag didn't work, so I guess that the TAG and the HEADER are two different things.

When I added my whole list of mp3s into the ID3 TagIt window, the good ones and bad ones showed IDENTICAL tag info, so I don't know why only some of them are being recognised by BAO.

As you suggested Scarecrow, I think my next step is to try to FIX the headers. Can this be done with ID3 TagIt, or do I need to use the MP3 utility you mentioned?

Is it possible that even though BAO says it can't read the header and the time not increasing, the file could still be burned successfully? I have this suspicion because when I click 'Compile' in BAO, for a 'bad' file, BAO takes while to encode???? it meaning that it is doing SOMETHING with the file.

By the way, the all the files are listed as CBR and not VBR....if this is of any help to you.

Another problem I've just noticed....

roadworker said:
If you add files to burn an audiocd,the time displayed in the status bar is the REAL duration time of that song
So what do I do when the actual mp3 file consists of 1 hour 51 mins of audio but BAO only displays is as 31 minutes???? (Yes, I've checked it and the audio deifinitely IS 1 hour and 50 mins long. Windows Media Player confirms this also, so why does Medial Player say the correct length but BAO doesn't?)

UPDATE....I just tried adding the SAME files (which BAO can't read the header for, and for which BAO incorrectly stated the wrong length) in Nero Express and the 'lowly' Nero Express added them fine to it's window AND showed the correct length! What's wrong with BAO?!???!!?!!

Thanks.

Last edited:
@Mr. Muddle.
For the moment you could manually decode your mp3 files to wave with ex. lame.exe.
Then use the resulting wave files to create an audio cd with burnatonce! ;)

Maybe your mp3 files contains cover art. If so, this bug has been fixed in the next release. Link.

Solaris (burnatonce forum moderator)