Border Problem Q

Scooterpig

Have had a good read through and I can't see an answer to my problem so I will ask away and if it has been bought up before then apologies..:)

I followed CM's tute for copying a DVD to DVD-R and it worked out perfectly and am very very happy with the result and am amazed at how much better quality the picture and sound is, so thank you.

The problem I found was that the ratio had changed from the original to the copy. The original movie is widescreen but the copy is now full screen.

I selected - 'Anamorphic (no borders added, encoded as 16:9' as per the tute as the original is widescreen so therefore I read it as DVD2VCD with this option selected will also make the copy widescreen, but unfortunately it didn't. No quality was lost although I don't doubt a little would have been making it bigger, but am curious if anyone can shed some light please as to why this happened or have I misread the tute and selected the wrong aspect option?

Thank you..:)

Scooterpig

Well yes I no I guess - as mine wasn't an AVI as this thread is about. Mine is direct from the original DVD and my characters aren't stretched, the screen has just been filled up with the correct ration but not widescreen as per the original.

DVD2SVCD will select the correct Aspect Ratio when encoding DVD's, you dont need to change whatever it selected unless you want to do some fancy stuff like cutting and chopping. The original DVD may have looked like widescreen on playback, but can be fullscreen (4:3) picture with black bands top and bottom to fill the screen out to the 4:3.

But you then quote "my characters aren't stretched, the screen has just been filled up", are you getting this on the PC or DVD Player playback, or both ? This is suggesting Pan & Scan is turned on somewhere such as your DVD Player and is auto adjusting on playback cropping off left & right side of the picture giving a fullscreen playback. Check your players Setup settings.

Scooterpig

OK thanks for that CM - interesting how you mention that DVD2SVCD will select the correct Aspect Ratio, very clever and no not ready yet for all the fancy stuff..:)

As for playback - original plays as widescreen on both PC & DVD Player.
- back-up plays as widescreen on PC but full screen on DVD Player

With it playing as widescreen on PC that tells me that it has been encoded as widescreen mode and that my DVD Player settings need looking at as you have said.

Thanks for that mate will have a look see...:)

Scooterpig

Well I have learned something today, thank you CM.

Checked it out again in my DVD Player and had a fiddle with the settings and all is good. Yes I did have it on Pan & Scan which was the reason, so all is good now so thank you..:)