Booting XP Service Pack 1 CD

I wanted to make a BOOTABLE XP Pro (Service Pack 1 Edition) CD......so I downloaded the six floppy disk boot pack from the Microsoft web site. Opened the IMG files with WinRAR and popped those files in the ROOT directory.

SURPRISE! SURPRISE!!!

My XP Pro CD now BOOTS! YIPPEE!!! :D

Then I tried it in a customer's computer that I am currently doing some work on. Even though it's a Pentium III it does have BOOTABLE CD as a BIOS option. But it won't work on this older machine! :(

What gives?

Anybody have any ideas?

Fearless Fly said:
I wanted to make a BOOTABLE XP Pro (Service Pack 1 Edition) CD......so I downloaded the six floppy disk boot pack from the Microsoft web site. Opened the IMG files with WinRAR and popped those files in the ROOT directory.

SURPRISE! SURPRISE!!!

My XP Pro CD now BOOTS! YIPPEE!!! :D

Then I tried it in a customer's computer that I am currently doing some work on. Even though it's a Pentium III it does have BOOTABLE CD as a BIOS option. But it won't work on this older machine! :(

What gives?

Anybody have any ideas?
Could be the CD Drive in the customer's system - if you burn to a CDRW, older drives cannot read sometimes, and if it is laptop-type drive as found in Compaq 1U servers, it usually won't boot CDRWs. Try burning the CD again and retry...

Excuse my ignorance. XP CD's are bootable already. Does adding SP1 to an XP image to make a slipstream CD make it not bootable?

The problem is that you have to copy the I386 directory to a
harddrive then splipstream the I386 directory and then burn it back
to a new CD. It making this new CD bootable with the special
MS bootsector that can be a little tricky.
But usings Bart's way, makes its very simple.