Book type

I have read about book type setting to aid compatability with DVD players and would like to try it. I have a Micro Advantage 8DVDRW-B13 (BTC 1008IM) . There is a tool supplied by the manufacturer to do this, but it is a Win 2000/XP tool. I'm running Win 98SE. Is there a generic tool available that will work on my drive under Win98SE?

Just as a follow up to this question, what is the downside of changing the book-type to DVD-ROM other than the added step of the burning process? Thanks

I don't see any downside.:) I tell people its like this:
-R are like 75% compatible with most player.
+R less than 50% compatible with most players.
DVD-Rom 95% compatible with most player.
Thats what I've found. :)

Sorry to say but I wouldn't recommend win98 for DVD burn do to the file size limitation.
Other that I can't be much help for windows 98 and DVD Burning.:(

PC-GUY said:
I don't see any downside.:) I tell people its like this:
-R are like 75% compatible with most player.
Can't say I agree with that part of your answer. Essentially anything that can play a dvd can play -R so long as it's been properly burnt. :)

stone_burner said:
Can't say I agree with that part of your answer. Essentially anything that can play a dvd can play -R so long as it's been properly burnt. :)

I Agree

May be different on NTSC but on PAL Standalones if they play copies they play DVD-R

stone_burner said:
Don't get me wrong up untill DVD-Rom (book type) all I burnt was -R but I did find some older ones and sony players that didn't play them, no matter how I burned them. Now I don't see any reason why not to burn the +R (DVD-Rom).:)