Best freeware alternative programs

Well, now that this forum has become a legit one, I thought it might be a good idea to have a list of freeware that are good replacement for commercial software.

Here is what I found in this very same forum some times ago :

Http Browser : MyIE 2
ftp client : SmartFtp
ftp server : GuildFtpd
Picture viewer : Irfanview
Edonkey clone : e-mule (much better than the original IMHO)
Anti virus : AVAST (yes, it's free for non commercial use)
CD emulation : Daemon tool
Firewall : Kerio Personnal Firewall
Multi chat : Trillian (version below 1.0)
Mail client : Foxmail
MP3 Encoder : LAME
Audio CD ripping tool : EAC
AVI Editing : Virtualdub

Well it's a start. Any suggestion or comment is appreciated.

Last edited:
You left out jv16 Powertools..
Graphis card tuner: RivaTuner
OS Tweak: Xteq X-Setup/Powertoys
Ad Filter: Proxomitron

I recommend this proggie to everyone.. Epsilon Squared 'InstallWatch Pro'
This prog monitors all your software installations and records them to a database. You can export the registry changes to a .reg file and undo them later. This is useful for tracking changes made by prog which you are trying out and you can easily do a clean uninstallation later.

dxkim said:
Excellent idea bud!
Now post you favorite freewares!
1- Tola's Patching Engine 1.8
You may freely distribute this program as long as you do not remove any of the included files from the archive. You may release or distribute any executable files created by this program

2- Simple Tool Collection 3.0
This software is freeware, if you want to place is on your site i would be thankful for a hyperlink to my site. ;)
If you want to use it on commercial publications please contact me first ! Be aware the use of some tools is only legal if you use them at your own PC or have the agreement with the target !

3- Multi WebSpace Faker 1.6.5
With this program you can fake the registration at several WebSpace providers. The Faker is not built for creating accounts to host illegal stuff. It's only a demonstration how to fill out and send Internet forms with help of a program.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:D :D :D :D :D :D I MUST BE JOKING! or not? :D :D :D :D :D :D

Seriously:
1- Xn-View
2- Zone Alarm
3- Iso Buster
4- Fresh
5- Quick time
6- Vidomi - DVD2(S)VCD - DVDx ...... Tmpegenc - Digital VR ......
7- CDx - PCDJ

Pokopiko i see you use Multiproxy, anonymous proxy manager!
I use it too but somehow it works only with my dial-up connection, and not with broadband (dsl).
Any idea how can i manage it ?

I don´t like a http anonym proxy i like multiproxy cause hide my ip and can change server manual or auto every time i want! thanks anyway i´ll keep looking for..

what about winamp, wips lamers ass = warez.

media players freeware also codecs

zoom player
xvid codec
ogg codec
bsplayer
realplayer
quicktime
:D

cya naz
:p

for playing avi/mpg's BS Player
hxxp://www.bsplay.com/downloads.php?cat=bsplay

Uses very little system resources, but great quality and all the functions you could ever need

A truely great jukebox plugin for winamp - MEXP
hxxp://www.mexp.dk/

Simply the best solution I've found for navigating through my MP3 collection, much easier to use than musicmatch etc, and best of all it's simply a plugin for winamp.

Maranello said:
You left out jv16 Powertools..
Graphis card tuner: RivaTuner
OS Tweak: Xteq X-Setup/Powertoys
Ad Filter: Proxomitron

I recommend this proggie to everyone.. Epsilon Squared 'InstallWatch Pro'
This prog monitors all your software installations and records them to a database. You can export the registry changes to a .reg file and undo them later. This is useful for tracking changes made by prog which you are trying out and you can easily do a clean uninstallation later.
seems to be exelent,
where i find 'InstallWatch Pro' ?

thanks in advance!

ps: if all this progs in the list are free,
can we put the url to download it or
it brake the rules?
masters,it's only a simple question,nothing more!
i don't want to brake the rules!!;)

good prog for me is
vcool
my cpu now: 28c
my system,26c
cpu athlon 1.6 over to 1.8!

Last edited:

dx

Just as a reminder guys, direct links ARE allowed now with the new Forum rules...so long as it is not a link to any kind of Warez.

Also, try not to leech a file wherever possible. Give credit where credit is due and link the main site instead. If necessary, point to the direction of the file.

New Forum ruled are here, BTW ;)

http://forum.cdrsoft.cc/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5446

Denexo said:
I don´t like a http anonym proxy i like multiproxy cause hide my ip and can change server manual or auto every time i want! thanks anyway i´ll keep looking for..
It's a nice program, in theory that is, because is doesn't work. Not all servers that are anonymous according to Multiproxy really are, so use a different way to check proxies or don't use this program and make your internet speed a bit higher. There are threads about this subject in the MP forum.
BTW, that forum was closed down, because there were too many topics\links dealing with illegal software :)
Many of them relating to Anonimity4proxy, which was reported to have a reliable testing method (100% reliability claimed by people who tested it).

yes pokopiko that is the way it works.
I prefer Mproxy because hide your ip. That mean you can downloading from kazaa or having a direct connection with someone, and you use a proxy ip. (anonym or not, it´s your choise)
Anyway it doesn´t work with my broadband connection but only with dial-up! I haven´t try hard to make it work, because it is not important right now!
I also tested Anonymizer, a plugin for IE, it keeps you anonym but as i said with direct connections your ip is visible!

well, now that I've found the freeware gurus, maybe you can help me with this one.

Do any of you know of a freeware PDF print driver?

I've heard that OpenOffice will save office documents to PDF, and I'm going to have to try that out, but what I'm really looking for is an alternative to either Win2PDF (shareware, not freeware) or Adobe's PDF Print Driver. These are both utilities that install as a system printer in Windows allowing you to print to PDF from any application.

Anyone know a freeware alternative?

thanks!

Oh and for your freeware lists, how about:

Jgaa's War FTP Server
Enzip
and one of my favorites

VNC!