Best Disk Defrager?

I'm trying the following products (in Windows XP Pro SP1):

Perfect Disk 6.0
Diskeeper 8.0
O&O Defrag 6.0

and would like to know your opinion on which of these 3, you think does the best job?

Thanks!

incognitu said:
I'm trying the following products (in Windows XP Pro SP1):

Perfect Disk 6.0
Diskeeper 8.0
O&O Defrag 6.0

and would like to know your opinion on which of these 3, you think does the best job?

Thanks!
I like O&O Defrag 6. Have used O&O products for a long time and have been really pleased. I have tried all 3 of the ones you are trying and have found that O&O does the best defrag job.

@incognitu and eddieb---O&O's good but the latest O&O versions are a little too bloated for my liking..
try the leanest and fastest..and many other features built in- VoptXP ;)
Download the free 30 day trial.Get it here http://www.goldenbow.com

Last edited:
Same here

plextorman said:
@incognitu and eddieb---O&O's good but the latest O&O versions are a little too bloated for my liking..
try the leanest and fastest..and many other features built in- VoptXP ;)
Download the free 30 day trial.Get it here http://www.goldenbow.com
I have been using VoptXP for half a year now perfect prog.

From the three above I would pick Perfect Disk 6. Diskeeper 8 is bundled with loads of horror stories on NTFS partitions (corrupt filestructures after an offline defrag and such) while O@O 6 is still immature- version 4 is great, though, and my current preference.
VoptXP is some sort-of defragmenter (only does space defragmentation- admittedly quite fast), and its abilities are severely crippled for NTFS. Surely not recommended, unless you are still using 98/ME.

Well, I've tried all 3 of them (I used to use O&O Defrag v4 - Excelent defrag) and my comments are:

O&O v6: Seems like a downgrade from version 4; It seems to have less features available.

Diskeeper 8.0: Did not suprise me; defrag speed was nothing special, and it felt like there could be more space for improvment

Perfect Disk 6.0: Well, this one was a suprise! It was fast (not as O&O v4) and the boot-time defrag was one of the best I've seen! While the others (including O&O v4) reported that there was little or no defragmentation on pagefile, MFT, etc..., Perfect Disk took almost 15 minutes to complete boot time defragmentation. I know this probably means nothing, but I want to believe (until someone proves me wrong)

VoptXP: I tried it once didn't like the interface. And after reading so many things about NTFS and this prog, I decided not to give it a go! Sorry to all VoptXP fans out there

:cool:

scarecrow said:
From the three above I would pick Perfect Disk 6. Diskeeper 8 is bundled with loads of horror stories on NTFS partitions (corrupt filestructures after an offline defrag and such) while O@O 6 is still immature- version 4 is great, though, and my current preference.
VoptXP is some sort-of defragmenter (only does space defragmentation- admittedly quite fast), and its abilities are severely crippled for NTFS. Surely not recommended, unless you are still using 98/ME.
Perfect Disk 6,Diskeeper 8,The latest O&O..Nice applis,yes-But who needs yet more system processes running in the background (O&O?.. ;)
VoptXP is lighter-and it is aimed at NTFS..The fact that it`s also good for 98/ME is an added bonus..... :)

FrightfoO

I use XP's builtin Defragger which is based in Diskeeper 7.0. I also tried using a newer version of Diskeeper, but it gave pretty much the same results.

I might give that Perfect Disk a go now. It appears to be pretty good.

Anyone tried Speed Disk?

I know its boring but Im afraid cant be bothered to put xtra S/ware on I use XP defrag never had a problem

Will try that little proggy BVV

C

Coolhandflex

Until recently I swore by Diskeeper Workstation, then I discovered Defragmenter Pro Plus. It's a neat little program. Before defragging it will first clean your hd, reboot, run checkdisk then defrag. On completion it will either load windows, shut or power down. It takes just under 15 minutes to defrag my system disk, swap file & backup partition...Solid!

WinXP Pro
P4 2.8 800mhz cpu
Asus P4P800se mobo
Micron 2x 256mb PC3200 ram
Maxtor 80gig sata hd
Plextor Premium
Gainward 256mb FX5600 ultra
Creative Encore x6 DVD
SBLive 5.1

xp defrag does me fine too as per poachers response its fast and does the job :)

there is other posts on this in the forum search the forum for defrag in the search box :)