Basic question...

the olds have a slightly good cd Player, Sony CDP - 761E, and MOST of the time it dont play my *shifty eyes* "backup'd" cdz. It does on occasions.

my dad seems to think its the laser not reading the cheap crap copied cd'z, but they work sometimes?

whats the reason for this?

andis there n e way to make it play them all time? like some method :|

thanks

Michael

If its a badly copied Cd..then you can only try to copy it again with a better media...also does it do the same on other players...and when you recorded..did you close out the session..lots of things could be a cause....the program used to make the cd...media...settings....

nah, nothing to do with the copy, it works fine on every other cd player, just this particular cd player, and its nothing to do with the laser either.

There is an old saying: -
If you put rubbish in you'll only get rubbish out.

I think this converted into CD-RW copying speak means that if you cut down on the end product by the use of cheap media than you will in most cases be getting a poor result.

I've done it and I've seen other people do it and it just doesn't pay 'cos for every good disc that plays OK you'll most likely get 3 that don't.

I have one friend with a 48x burner that burns all his music CDRs at 2x because at anything faster he says he gets gaps/jumping in the music. What media has he wasted his money on? CDRs from some cheapo shop costing £00.10p each!

man, the cd's run fine, no skipping, and i burn on top speed, all is sweet, its just sometimes on this player, it dont work.

the cdz are cheap, but arent bad at all

it's not crappy media. your dads old cd player is just not finely tuned to playback these cds of your properly. i doubt there is any way you can improve your burning methods to fix this.

these days all new cd players are fully compatible with cdrs.

my friend had a similar problem. in fact we used to use his as a test machine when printing off band cdrs to be fairly sure if a particular cd brand was gonna work for most people or not. it's not fun to get a cd that doesn't.

it's a hit and miss affair with old cd players, that's all i can say and your evidence shows this.

the cds i buy are 20 quid for 100 (about 30 dollars i think) and they have great protection on the top of the cds and i've hardly have a single one fail during burning or even degenerate over time. so it's proof there are great quality cd media for very cheap prices.

i'm afraid you will need to upgrade the olds cd player for you not to get pissed off any longer, or find a brand taht does work all the time and not some of the time.

possible techinical reasons for it could be anything from the laser not reading from the cd dye or the tracks being too close together for the cd player to follow correctly. bearing in mind that cd player was most likely designed when 74min was absolute starndard.

i think the problem is either down to the laser technology or something in the software for play back in his standalone.

Last edited:
See if you can find (eg. in a google newsgroup search) mentions of any media that works well in notoriously fussy players - like some car ones.

There exists a lot of myth and legend about media for Cd-R intolerant players - and even if silver/silver LOOKS most like an original, doesn't mean it will be the best - by contrast, somebody reckoned that BLACK media works best for some reluctant players.

Also a good idea to stay away from the maximum or minimum speeds for drive and media - the best burn will usually be to middle/low, but current drives and media are definitely NOT tuned for 1x use if they even support it!

Try this

Put Another Cd (or preferably a plastic one from a spool) ON TOP OF THE ONE U WANT TO PLAY

If it works (it puts the cd closer to the laser) as it does a good percentage of the time on OLD CD players U can maybe (if U are good at this sort of thing) adjust the player to raise the laser but I wouldnt do that (not clever enough)