Backing up online games

gavcradd

I've had a Playstation for Christmas with a couple of online games (Medal of Honour Rising Sun and XIII). I was going to get my PS2 mod chipped so that I could backup these games, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to do this.

Every site I've seen so far for modchips offers a "sleep mode" so that you can play online games that detect modchips.

Does anyone have any experience in backing up and playing online games with a mod chip?

fergy93

My understanding is that you can play online with certain mod-chips, as the mod does indeed go into sleeper mode, but you do need the original game, backups won't work.

Anyway i think thats right ??!

gavcradd

Thanks for that, do you mean that the games won't boot, or just that I won't be able to play the online bit.

IE with Medal Of Honour Rising Sun, do you know if I'll be able to play the 1 player missions of a backed up DVD?

Cheers for your time to help a newbie!

gavcradd said:
I've had a Playstation for Christmas with a couple of online games (Medal of Honour Rising Sun and XIII). I was going to get my PS2 mod chipped so that I could backup these games, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to do this.

Every site I've seen so far for modchips offers a "sleep mode" so that you can play online games that detect modchips.

Does anyone have any experience in backing up and playing online games with a mod chip?
Even the "sleep mode" will not allow for backed up games to be played online. The game will contain various checkpoints whereby it will talk to the DNAS server and stop if applicable.

There is no workaround for booting backed up games with DNAS as of yet.

shinkidousenki

psx_paul said:
Even the "sleep mode" will not allow for backed up games to be played online. The game will contain various checkpoints whereby it will talk to the DNAS server and stop if applicable.

There is no workaround for booting backed up games with DNAS as of yet.
So using SWAP MAGIC to play backed up games online won't work either??

ps2king

Let me start from the beginning. Now modchips have a feature called Sleep mode. Sleep mode allows the modchip to be undetected. When the ps2 is in sleep mode you cannot play backups. But you can insert the backup then put the ps2 into sleep mode.

Also yes you can play backups online. You just can't play the NEW backups online due to the new DNAS protection. The DNAS protection was enforced after December 30, 2002 (I think, I'm pretty sure). So you can play older games online such as Socom, Midnight CLub 2. Those games were made b4 the DNAS protection came out. You cannot play games online that have 2004 on it because those games were made with the DNAS protection. When you try to play it online it'll just say DNAS -402 Error.

Also DNAS stands for Dynamic Network Authentication Servers

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

OwenRocky

Playing Online Games using Swap Magic

I backed up my SOCOM game because the origional disc was too badly scratched up. The backup works fine, but I want to know if I can play online with it. Technically I do nopt have a mod chip, but this is a copied game. Will the backup game work online using swap magic discs?

ps2king

bertieg said:
Might have the wrong year there ps2king
No I think I have it right. Because you cannot play any games that have 2004 written on them and those games were made in the year of 2003. Therefore, the protection of the games was enforced then. I'm 95% sure I heard this elsewhere. You can play backups online even if the year is 2003.
E.G Madden 2003. YOU can play it online because it was made in the year of 2002 and DNAS was still in the working back then.

ps2king

OwenRocky said:
I backed up my SOCOM game because the origional disc was too badly scratched up. The backup works fine, but I want to know if I can play online with it.
YES, you can play SOCOM online but you cannot play SOCOM 2 online due to the DNAS protection.

OwenRocky said:
Technically I do nopt have a mod chip, but this is a copied game. Will the backup game work online using swap magic discs?
The only way backups work without a modchip is by using Flip-tops, or by using the Cog-Knife trick.

ps2king

ps2king said:
No I think I have it right. Because you cannot play any games that have 2004 written on them and those games were made in the year of 2003. Therefore, the protection of the games was enforced then. I'm 95% sure I heard this elsewhere. You can play backups online even if the year is 2003.
E.G Madden 2003. YOU can play it online because it was made in the year of 2002 and DNAS was still in the working back then.
Wait bertieg I think you're right, I'm just in way over my head. IT is December 30th today!! I meant to say December 2002. Plz don't mind my other message. Has anyone played a backup of Madden 2003 online??